iPhone 2 anytime in 2008?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edwardz, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Edwardz macrumors regular

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I guess a 16GB version will come around February...with a refresh around late November...

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

My feeling is that it will come by the end of March '08, probably 3G and 16GB.

4. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

I'm guessing that the next generation iPhone won't be much of a leap. There's still a lot that Apple can do with the hardware. More likely we'll see an iPhone gen 1.5 sometime mid next year.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

6. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I don't see how Apple can go 3G with iPhone. Remember they're locked into an exclusive deal with AT&T for (what was it?) three years?

AT&T are Edge, not 3G. So either AT&T upgrades to 3G or Apple breaks the exclusive deal with AT&T and sells phones that work on other carriers' networks.

I don't see it until at least '09.

Cheers.

7. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Late 08 or too many people would start complaining.

They need to have a update out for when peoples original contracts run out. Personal I think it will get a refresh along with the iPods in September or October or maybe even wait till January 09 at Macworld.

Besides the extra GBs not much they can do.

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I disagree. I cant speak till after what will hopefully be there major update (with the release of leopard) but there is plenty they can do (besides the obvious of thinner, higher MP camera, a flash with it, GPS)

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

10. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

But the UK release is on the 9th of November, so they won't update it before then (unless they do it in the next few days), and that also means they won't be able to update the phone without a backlash for a few months.

Thinner design, better camera and flash are not key feature of the iPhone for apple. We will get them just because the iPhone will evolve but it will come along with a major update.

GPS would be nice, and we all know that there will be a 3G phone one day.

11. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I just googled it and you're aboslutely right. My bad.

In that case, we may well see a 3G iPhone next year sometime. Sweet. Thanks for correcting me.

I'm in Canada so just having iPhone legally up here would be a great thing - 3G or Edge. I'm running mine unlocked but would love to run it legit.

Cheers.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

A possible downside of going 3G, could be that the data plan will be more expensive.

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Depends...the 3G plans for feature phones are still 20, and the iphone is the only non-flip smartphone device that uses the media-max pricing...they might not raise the price, or they might split the difference and not raise it as badly as they do when they gouge people on the pda plans.

14. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I'm pretty content with my 8GB, the only thign is the iChat needs to be added.

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think they'd be stupid to raise the price because the 3G coverage isn't even very good, so you'd have people stuck with edge paying for 3G.

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Wow! After so many years of wishing for an iPhone, it finally comes out and a consumer is "content"...

17. Zegna macrumors member

My guess is that they will ship the new one reasonably long enough after all target markets got the current iPhone.

I would bet for Q1 2009.

18. fromthineyes macrumors newbie

The whole 3g thing doesn't or shouldn't matter to a lot of people.
    Go look at the AT&T coverage map...

For me, there is no 3G coverage in my entire state (Colorado)
    and then even if you do get 3g, as soon as you leave the city... Gone

19. luke_s macrumors member

luke_s

In Europe it does matter and i believe the customer base there isn't small either. so maybe a reason or apple to introduce a 3g phone, or maybe not, why not continue selling the dumb europeans edge phones and charge them 30% more????
    Go Steve GO :mad:

20. appleiphone macrumors newbie