iPhone 2 iPhone Chat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, Jun 4, 2009.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I have a question...

the ONLY thing that I like about BlackBerry's is the ability to chat w/ other BlackBerry users... unlimited! all they have to do is exchange each others' Pins...

so, here's my question... if iPhone 3.0 is gonna have a full-featured Push System, is it possible to have an App that can do just that? iPhone 2 iPhone Chat? but Not on WiFi... :confused:

Thanks!;)

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It'll be possible to do with Bluetooth P2P in the new SDK, so I'm sure some third party will do and use push when out of range.

Bigger question is if there'll be a native iChat app. I suspect so myself - it's the sort of thing that would make perfect sense to launch with 3.0 (particularily if the new iPhone has video...) and wouldn't neccessarily have needed to be in the betas.

Phazer

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

You can already chat using any of the IM protocols over cell networks. With 3.0 and push you'll notified instantly* when a new message arrives. Apple isn't going to create their own messaging network from the ground up (probably) for iPhone chat. They already use chat/IM with MobileMe and that uses the AIM protocols. So any IM app should do what you're looking for, you just need to use a different IM account, not your phone number. Unless I'm not understanding how BBM is different from IM.

The Phazer: BT will be worthless unless you're practically next to the person. Range on BT is very small. I can't chat with you right now over BT, but I can over IM.

If Apple has iChat, I can see it only being for video chat. I don't think they'd basically run all the other IM clients out of business by putting IM/chat into the phone native. They also gave the Meebo guys stage time at the 3.0 announcement event. It would be a huge slap in the face to them to let them show off an early push IM client only to say "too bad, we're providing our own instead."

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Like they wouldn't do with all the sound recorder apps?

My point on bluetooth is that I think we'll see apps that use Bluetooth when in range and then go to push over IP when out of range, but we'll see. Ultimately there'll be little incentive to bother if iChat happens in 3.0, but we're totally guessing at present.

Phazer

5. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

I agree. While I don't know if Apple will actually release and iChat, they should. A ton of people I know use Blackberries simply for that reason alone, the PIN. Many of them could care less about the various corporate features that the iPhone is often said to need. By including an iChat that provides free instant messaging between iPhones Apple could steal away those who rely on this.

Let's be clear though, this is different from having a chat client or email. With email not all emails are pushed and some people don't even have them set up. With a regular chat client people aren't always signed in. The iPhone needs something that works with the only requirement being that the person contacting you has your unique identifier

6. spookme macrumors member

As a question, not a statement.

Couldn't someone do this already? if you require a unique identifier all the phones have a IMEI number & a serial number could this be used in anyway to develop an app?

Until 3G came along I myself was a BB user, for two reason. 1 the chat & 2 free use of msn messenger. The BB system was great and as more people came onboard with the BB the more people were on my list. This sort of function would be fantastic for the iPhone, but If I understand correctly, BB messenger uses their "service" (ok so you guys in the know will know the correct terminology, Im just a user!) as farr as I understand iPhone doesn't do that.

But......... if a developer could come up with something or even Apple themselfs utilising the IMEI or serial number that would be fantastic and could just pry a few more BB customers over the wonders world of iPhone!

:apple:

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Who knows. But in 3.0 they built in the option to choose "iPhone" as a type of phone number like "mobile" and "home". Maybe that is there for a reason.

Personally I don't get why you'd even want this kind of chat. Everyone I know with iPhones have unlimited texting anyways. Or i chat with people on AIM or twitter. I don't really need another way to message people.

8. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Blackberry Messenger is one of my favorite things about my BB. I wouldn't say it's the only good thing though.

9. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Exactly! thank you!;)

10. DougB541 macrumors 6502a

I'm switching from a Blackberry to the Pre and the thing I will miss most is Blackberry Messenger.

But i'll get over it.

11. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

Yes, I would just love an iChat for iPhone, with a Mac AND Windows client. Preferably with support for Google Talk, MSN and the other majors, that way more people would use it. Personally, I dislike the interface for MSN Messenger - very cluttered and just really way too Microsofty and full of junk.

I would love a slick Apple iChat with hopefully an iSight on the iPhone. I could care less about video calling but having iChat w/iSight would be very nice while traveling.

12. bjquach macrumors 6502

iPhone to iPhone would be nice but not many of my friends have an iPhone any way.

13. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I think ichat would be an awesome addition to the iphone.. I talk to a lot of my friends with ichat and that would be great if they were out somewhere and I decided to jump on my MBP and give them a chat.. I don't care about the video chat with them but it would be great that they could be on the go but your able to talk to them just like they are on their mac also, without having to send them a SMS...

James