iPhone 2 Release style?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Emulsion, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Emulsion macrumors 6502

I have a question on how you think they'll release the iPhone hardware update. Do you think it will be a "coming next week on this date..." or a "Available today..."

I want to know because I want to know if I'll be able to get one on the first day. Whether it be camping out, or driving to the Apple Store as fast as I can. If it is an" Available today.." type of deal, do you think they would run out of supply?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

How would anyone here know that?

Usually when Apple makes a big announcement, it isn't available that day in-store. (see iPhone, Leopard, MBA, :apple:TV 2.0, Timecapsule, iPhone, SDK, AppStore, iPods, etc.)

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well...

if it's anything like 113 and 114, someone will be checking the "update" and announce over MacRumors that they are downloading at this very moment, then about 4 million of us iPhone owners will do the same. :p:cool:

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Huh??

His question was about a hardware update- the new 3G iPhone- not a software update.

5. Emulsion thread starter macrumors 6502

I know no one knows the answer I was merely asking how people think they'll handle the upgrade.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thanks,

I just fell off the turnip truck! :eek:

7. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

it would be a smart move if they do a "released today." if they do a release on a later date, iPhone sales would drop.

I will put money down that Steve will not mention a word of the release unless the phone was 100 % ready to go.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

NO. and NO.

First of all, that would be a stupid idea. Why? Because that means no one can plan ahead and get ready to buy one. As to if they were releasing it within a few months / weeks ahead which is the smart (and the way they are going to do this) this will create A LOT more publicity, more people waiting in line, and the demand will be extremely higher.

Put money down. You can buy my iPhone 2. :p

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

We can discuss this in 6 months when it will be relevant.

10. avalys macrumors 6502

Apple has never announced a hardware upgrade to an existing product significantly before it is available, have they?

It would kill sales if they did.

Brand new products are different story - announcing those early stokes demand, and steals sales from competitors. But pre-announcing an upgraded product just hurts Apple, because it can leave them with a lot of unsold, previous-generation inventory that they have to discount, or otherwise unload.

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They can get those extra iPhone sold easily. Apple knows how play the supply and demand game.

The iPhone is a completely different story compared to other products. It's just that good, that someone would wait an extra month when they could just get a new flashy blackberry right now.

12. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

NO and NO and NO.

What planning needs to be done? The only difference would be the addition of 3G to the AT&T plans.

If Apple waits 6 months again for consumer "Planning" that means a decrease in iphone sales for 6 months, meaning they won't reach their 10 million goal by the end of 2008. So I think your idea is the one that is "stupid."

The best publicity is actually seeing people use the phone. After the iphone was announced and before it was released, a lot of people were skeptical about buying the phone because of a lot of factors. The thing that caused it to boom in sales is when it actually hit the streets.

I spoken to a few iphone users and they don't even know what 3g is, and they don't have a need for gps (if that is indeed included in the next version). So the announcement of either of those features would do nothing for those types of consumers. What will make a difference is those consumers seeing others actually use the phone and its additional features.

Jobs has a goal to reach with the iphone sales. If he just announces and says the new phone going to be released at a later date, sales are going to drop, cutting on valuable time before his time is up.

O and btw, please don't call peoples' ideas stupid when there is no valid proof that backs up any ones idea.

13. Emulsion thread starter macrumors 6502

See with some updates Apple seems to release same day, as in the mac pro, and others are usually on a week delay, ipod updates.

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Did anyone say it would be 6 months? No.

Releasing on the same day is just STUPID with the iPhone.

Apple wants to create hype by saying they will release it on so and so. What a better time than to release the iPhone in the summer, at a specific time that people can actually plan ahead and wait for. Your way, Jobs would announce the iPhone, and somehow shipments of new iPhones get into stores, and knowing from the past, it will get leaked, and ruin the surprise. Apple loves playing that game, and it's better that way.

Even with new iPod updates. Those aren't instant.

And it doesn't matter if you spoke to a bunch of people and they don't even know what 3G is. Did they know what EDGE was before they bought it? Did they know what 2.5G technology was?

15. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I recall a few iPod updates that became available the same day. So I have no clue what ur talking about. And can we stop using the word STUPID? Its disrepectful and I don't recall me saying anything about being 100 % sure its just an educated guess. So please get off my balls.

And explain to me how not having knowledge of what 3g is not going to affect some ones purchasing choice when buying a 3g phone?

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The old iPod nanos all came out at a later time from when they were announced.
    The iPod Touch didn't come out when it was announced.
    The new iPod nano (the fat one) didn't come out when it was announced.
    The iPod classic didn't come out when it was announced.

Just because i said your method was stupid because, well, it is, doesn't mean i'm on your balls either. I thought you were actually trying to be mature.

17. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

The 3rd Gen iPod nano shipped the day it was announced and arrived in stores that weekend.
    The iPod classic was shipped the announcement day and arrived in stores that weekend.
    The iPod touch was not an upgrade, it was a completely new iPod platform.

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Was that available the same day? No, you still had to wait.

Both of you are forgetting the fact that this isn't just on Apple's part. They have to work with the AT&T stores as well to setup in store displays, train employees, and of course receive shipments.

19. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

The ipods were announced being available to purchase that day.. Youre trying to skew information to make yourself sound right. Btw Calling my method stupid is insulting especially when you yourself don't have your information straight.

No one even knows what other extra features will be in the next phone other than 3g and that is not even 100%. For all we know the next upgrade will just be capacity based.

Until apple actually announces something themselves, my idea is as good as anyone elses.

Oh and btw, at&t already knows of a 3g coming, so I'm pretty sure they have already been planning stuff with apple for a while.

And thanks for calling my idea stupid again when I asked you politely not to. If you want to call someone immature, you should look in a mirror, youngin.

I still don't know what you mean by planning. If you mean on apples part, I'm sure they are planning stuff as we speak, same with at&t. Do you think they are stupid enough to start planning after they announce the phone?

20. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

iPhone 2 is more than likely to have many upgrades and advantages over the current iPhone. They want to attract buyers who haven't switched to iPhones yet, but they ALSO want to convert the people that bought iPhones already to upgrade. Just having 3G and the same design won't do that as efficiently as having 2 cameras with more MP, more storage space, faster cpu, better design, and of course 3G.

Although planning won't take as nearly as long as it did with the first iPhone, it's still going to take time.

21. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

All I need is 3g to upgrade. I primarily use the Internet on my phone than anything else.

That is why having knowledge of what 3g is will help sales. Those individuals who have no clue what 3g is will not consider upgrading when they have no idea of the performance boost certian upgrades will bring. Seeing the phones in use by others will be apples best advertisement. There are ppl out there who still refuse to buy an iPhone because of price and choice of provider. Those same people will not buy the iPhone 2 because they don't understand what convenience the device brings.

So no matter how much time goes by for planning, those same ppl will still be in the same mindset until they are able to experience the phone in person.

22. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the FCC approval..
    How will this affect things? (through all the months and forum threads, there has still not been a clear answer to this)

23. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Thats a great point right therre... I dident think of that.

AT&T is no small time company that Apple can push around. I am sure you are right that they have it in there contract that they will get notice to prepare so that they dont lose out on possible sales for something that the Apple Store will have before them....

EXCELLENT point .... If there is going to be a leak about an iPhone 2 or 3g etc... I bet it comes from the AT&T people

24. Emulsion thread starter macrumors 6502

So with all the shortages and no even do you think we'll see an update on Tuesday? Do you think it's the 3g phone, or just a storage update to boost sales for the iPhone 1's dying days?

25. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

MacWorld (June 14) - "In stores today."

$100 Price Drop on 16GB iPhone to $399 EDGE
    16GB iPhone with 3G to $499