iPhone 2 rumor mill

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Here is where you can post a compilation of all known rumors regarding the newest version of the iPhone, along with my opinion of their probability.

3G -100% Everybody knows it'll have this...
    GPS - 90% It would behoove apple to include this.
    Video chat - 90% Yea this was one of the few missing pieces of the first iphone
    Mobile TV - 40% I heard this, but I'm kinda doubting the validity.
    Upgraded Camera -75% I haven't really heard any direct rumors about this, but people are talking about how this is needed. I'm sure apple will listen to their demands
    $200 Subsidy - 75% I think at&t knows they need to keep the price competitive... or at least I'm hoping..

Have you heard of anything else?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3G - 100%
    GPS - 50%
    Better Camera - 80%
    Video Chat - 10%
    Mobile TV - 10%
    Official iChat - 50%
    Better battery life - 70%
    Brighter screen - 70%
    Double storage - 60%
    Multiple colours - 50%
    Slimmer (bezel) - 90%
    Wireless sync - 50%, at least for contacts/calanders

3. fart macrumors regular

4. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

3G - 100%
    GPS - 75%
    Look exactly like the existing iPhone - 99.95%
    Improved camera - 0% (the current and proposed chipsets do not support a better camera which is why the iPhone got what it is packing now)

Mobile TV - Got that right now thanks.

Improved storage will come some time after the next Touch update. Possibly in the new year.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Sounds a lot more accurate than the original post. GPS is a little costly still to be added without a price bump, and video chat and mobile TV are almost not at all likely. Why offer mobile TV when it's a bandwidth hog and there's no streaming TV from the iTunes store? Apple isn't going to cannibalize anything from iTunes.

I like the idea of wireless sync just for contacts/calendars, but for pretty much everything else it's pointlessly slow.

I would put wireless N at 25%. I bad-mouthed it in the past as useless, but changed my mind when I found out that a router in mixed mode is slower than 802.11n native. The iPhone/iPod Touch are the only Apple products sold now with 802.11g, so they may want to kick the wireless up. But it may use too much battery and not be as reliable.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Just what every girl wants! 100%.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It's not how big it is, it's what you can do with it! :p

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Already a thread set up here regarding the 2nd generation 3G (aka 3.75G ) iPhone. Happy to see you all there :)

If we're laying down probabilities:

3G - 100%
    GPS - 95% (GPS, A-GPS, and a big hook up with Google, and a move more towards Core Location)
    Better Camera - 95%
    Video Chat - 98% (Swiss carrier move, it's also supplied by AT&T (1 way currently but that may change)
    Mobile TV - 80% - it'll be offered either this time round or next update. Again, Swisscom shows the way. N96 will have it.
    Official iChat - 95% Apple will have IM and chat.
    Better battery life - 95% - Bound to - either better battery, or a larger one.
    Brighter screen - 90% Hopefully OLED
    Double storage - 90% 32GB in come June.
    Multiple colours - 8%
    Slimmer (bezel) - 90% (Not as slim as the iMID)
    Wireless sync - 90%

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I think you got it right.

Also:
    Subsidy- 0%

And God, please, don't let it look anything like the leaked pics that have circulated through the web. So ugly...

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Uhh the new chip that's supposedly in it supports up to 5MP. :cool:

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I feel like you don't know how percentages work.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

With due respect, it's 100% or 0% in terms of features shipping. - They were probabilities - likelihoods on a scale of 1 to 100 where 1 is unlikely, 100% is certain.

Apple won't have a percentage of a feature. It'll either be there or not for any one SKU.

If you want to talk about %ages, please do. I've got a great quote I found today on just the subject:

2005 - Gene Munster, a Piper Jaffray analyst
    " Mr. Munster told CNN.

@ Jessica - hehehe still laughing at the joke :D

13. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I expect there to be little-no software upgrades with the new iPhone besides the 2.0 software and MAYBE 3G.

The only thing I expect Apple to put on the new iPhone is 3G and maybe GPS. They might put a few new apps, but I doubt it. They will just rely on the apps store and the 2.0 software upgrade to give customers what they want. I don't think Apple will put in a video recorder or mobile TV or anything like that. I wish, but they just seem too busy and will just count on people to make apps for the apps store.

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I agree with you. Many people haven't even come close to experiencing the potential of the current generation. FW 2.0 will change that to a large extent. That's one of the reasons why I don't see the 3G being nearly as heavy in hardware upgrades as software. Not to mention that WWDC is all about software and developers. There is definitely a chance of some major hw upgrades, but I do fear people are expecting way too much...

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm just saying that many of your percentages are absurdly high.
    98% that the new iPhone will have video chat? That's a 50/50 prop at best.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think i'd fall in the expecting too much from the update of the hardware camp. But then again, prior to the actual keynote debuting the iPhone, in general the consensus view expected a lot less...

If you look at the WWDC Sessions, the time allocated to iPhone is large. Heck, it's thought that the 2 bridges on the main poster are regarding the 2 OS versions (this may or may not be a correct reading of the hints from Apple).
    WWDC is for developers. It's also iPhone's birthday. And there are going to be a heck of a lot more developers working with Apple due to the iPhone. Lots more software and so on.

Apple hasn't experienced it's potential sales due to lack of hardware - lack of 3G in the hardware, and lack of 3G networks with it's carriers it first chose.
    Both those are givens now (AT&T covering 60% of the U.S. population roughly, O2 covering 80% I believe).

The 2.0 IS the software upgrade. They have had to slowly leak some parts out through the recent SDK updates and so on, but most of any exciting updates Apple has up its sleeves has been well hidden I imagine. They aren't going to show all their aces by putting it where all can see in the OS before WWDC.

If you're only thinking Maybe 3G by now, i'd have to disagree. Apple may as well roll home to Infinity Loop and kiss goodbye to Japan, Australia, Europe and other places where 3G has been around, like video calling, for a long time.
    Being hamstrung by 3G hardware (of the chip and network kind) limited Apple the first time round. They don't have that this time.

I'd vote that Apple will have definite video capabilities (heck, the current one does, but they haven't implemented it).

Asking too much? Almost certainly. About to get a lot of the features expected. Indubitably.

17. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I've been satisfied with my iPhone since June 29 '07 and will continue to support it. Really looking forward to these next few weeks, bring on video recording and GPS!

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do tell.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Well, of course WWDC is iPhone-heavy. The transformation of the iPhone into a 2nd development platform is huge. I'd say almost 50% of the focus of the convention. Which is the main reason why I think the keynote and convention is going top be way more focused on the software side of the coin. But Apple certainly might go for broke and just drop mad bombs all over the place. Who knows?

From reports I've read on other iPhone-centric forums, users experiences with video-calling/conferencing on other phones haven't been overwhelmingly enthusiastic. Perhaps the iPhone could revolutionize this, but video-conferencing on an iPhone doesn't seem too important to me in the Enterprise sector. It adds an intriguing human element I suppose in dealing with customers, but it is only viable if the other party has a vid-conferencing capable phone as well. There is a fun-factor for video calling with friends, but considering how much I use video with iChat, for me it would be a wasted feature. Cool to have, for sure, but I would rather have other things. Like legit software to enable the current camera to record vid clips that I can export into iMovie or Final Cut.

And while 3G could have helped bolster sales internationally, I would hardly call Apples iPhone sales so far, hamstrung. I can think of many many occasions where my local Apple Store and AT&T stores were out of stock. And they have sold million upon millions of unix-jailed devices for hundreds each, had thousands of people waiting in lines for its release a year ago, and even more planning to wait in line this time around, some even though they had spent 400-600 dollars on an iPhone less than a year prior. I'd say that at least smells of success, right? I'd take a proportional slice of that pie for my business!!

The wait is almost over. We shall see if there will be cries of joy, or tears of ennui in just a few short weeks...

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think with the amount of developer time after the keynote, we'll give give Jobs some time to talk about possible new Apple kit for 2 odd hours hehe :)

In terms of video calling - it hasn't had a decent launch really. 3G isn't mainstream - there hasn't been the mainstream hardware, or desire to use it to be honest.

Video calls don't just have to be face to face - check out the use of screen sharing and file sharing that you could do with a 3G connection. You could easily also incorporate video into that too. I'd prefer better video recording and uploading, and also video streaming capabilities.
    Video streaming to qik or kyte could easily take off in a big way - this coupled with social networks for example could be a big boon.

Hamstrung only so much in the markets where 3G was already well established . Should have said, apologies. The U.S. was also getting a large amount of the grey market sales for resale in other countries I believe.

Success - yes. They're lining up to more than quadruple there potential market, expand to dozens more contries. On the potential market alone, 3% equates to ~15 million iPhone sales I think the numbers were.

Can Jobs top - iphone ipod internet device, iphone ipod internet device moment? :D It'd have to be on a par with the iBooks - look no cables stunt!

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.