iPhone 20 MB Restriction

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kdawg, May 24, 2011.

1. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Am I the only one with issue on the fact that you cannot download anything over 20 MB on the iphone?
    I understand that if they removed the CAP cellular networks could lose a lot of throughput. But how about raising the cap to 150 MB? What good is having a smartphone if you cannot download apps/podcasts on the go? Especially when you have paid for UNLIMITED service. I am in remote areas for extended periods of time. I have ZERO access to wifi, so I am SOL.
    The other day I needed access to my network. I hadn’t yet installed any RDP apps. So I needed to do this on the go. Well, I couldn’t install the one I wanted to use because of this ridiculous 20 MB CAP. So my iphone was USELESS to me.

Then yesterday, I was at the beach and I wanted to listen to a new podcast, but I couldn’t because of this ridiculous cap.

I already know the typical fanboy mentality, and someone will say, “download it and sync.” – So save it, as this process defeats the purpose buying a smart phone and using “UNLIMITED” data.

I refuse to jailbreak as JB-ing messed up the battery on my original iphone (1st gen) and one of my coworkers JB her 4 and now notices that the battery life isn’t as good and her phone heats up, Plus, I hate having to re-JB at each update. It’s way too time consuming.

Why won’t apple raise this CAP so that we can download apps and podcasts on the go? Especially when we are paying for unlimited data. – It’s false advertisement from APPLE, ATT, & Verizon.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I believe you can stream pod cast over the network. This is easier on the networks because generally speaking they run a reduced bit rate and on top of that last bandwith demand because even at the same bit rate a 30-40meg pod cast is spread over 1+hours compared to the huge demand while it is downloaded.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I kinda agree. If the carriers aren't going to give us unlimited data anymore, they might as well let us download whatever we want with it.

Replace the notice that the file is too big with a warning and I'd be happy.

4. kdawg thread starter macrumors regular

kdawg

That would be great, but unfortunately some of the podcasts I listen to don't have a streaming option.