iPhone 20?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I can't even begin to imagine what the iPhone might be or do in 10-20 years. Will we even use phones by then? I suppose we probably will. Will Apple stay in the phone business that long?

I can't think of any product that has made it to version 20 and been named as such. Cars just keep the same base name year after year. A Corvette is a Corvette is a Corvette (although there was the Stingray). In fact, cars are one of the only things I can think of where the successful model's names endure. Tech products rarely seem to make it past version 3 or 4.

It doesn't seem very Apple like for them to still be adding digits to the iPhone name after 20 years. I think eventually they'll just start calling it iPhone.

Your predictions?

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm skipping the iPhone 20 and will wait for the iPhone 20 S⃣

I hear that version will have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Retina Display

4. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok so I should have said "will go back to just calling it the iPhone."

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

iPhone 20 will only have a 2GB flash drive for the OS and default apps. Other apps and everything else will be on iCloud with free storage of 20TB and the average mobile internet speed will be 400Mbps Dwn and 300Mbps up. The screen will be stretchable to whatever size you want from 3.2inch to 5.7inch.

6. Pooshka macrumors 65816

How about ability to upgrade phone storage, RAM, CPU wirelessly/virtually, without unscrewing, disassembling, installing, soldering, etc.? :eek:

I must be thinking way too ahead, like year 3000 or something. :D

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You're on model 72S....come back to reality, please!

8. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

the Air Jordans basketball shoes has made it well past the 20th version.

just saying..

9. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I better be getting at least 1Gbps down OTA in 20 years.

10. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

. But did they actually call them Air Jordans 20?

11. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Introducing Hyper-Def, makes your High-Def display look like trash. :p

12. Surely Guest

Surely

At some point it'll be something like the jewel Ender Wiggin has implanted behind his ear.

13. spiralynth macrumors regular

PC World article predicting future of the phone ... 5 years ago. Kinda interesting.

---

http://www.pcworld.com/article/126854/the_future_of_cell_phones.html

The Future of Cell Phones
    Handsets get even thinner, more versatile.
    By Yardena Arar, PCW Print

Oct 2, 2006 1:00 am

What's Next: Speed Is Just the Beginning
    Today's mobile phones can already send e-mail, browse the Web, and keep you in touch with friends and colleagues via voice or text message. Tomorrow's handsets will add even more to the menu, morphing (as needed) into always-connected portable game consoles, full-featured TVs, and credit cards. Here's a quick look at what's coming:

Networks: In the next few years, cell phone networks will move data at several megabits per second, and will coexist with WiMax, Wi-Fi, and, for TV, DVB-H or MediaFLO. IMS will let them work together.

Handsets: Look for sleek designs (such as Frog Design's Ubik), better battery life, e-payment support, and graphics muscle for true TV and console-style video gaming.

Cameras: Expect not just high resolutions (8 megapixels and beyond), but also the same image-processing capabilities found in current digital still and video cameras.

Network Hopping: Enabling Seamless Internet Access
    GSM, CDMA, Wi-Fi, WiMax: Can't we all just get along? With IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem), we just might. Now in trials, IMS network technology will allow any type of packet data--voice calls, video, music, HTML, you name it--to move seamlessly between IMS-enabled networks. With IMS, you'll be able to start a call on your cell phone and end it on a VoIP landline, watch pay TV on either a handset or a big screen (smart-card technology identifies you), and access your contacts from any connected PC or handset. But the benefits will kick in only once IMS is widely deployed, which will take several years.

Tomorrow's Phone: Fold It and Go

We asked Frog Design, the Silicon Valley industrial design and consulting firm with clients as diverse as Victoria's Secret, Maxtor, and Yahoo Music, what a cell phone might look like several years from now. They shared with us this innovative prototype design. Click on the image to see more features.

[​IMG]

Artwork: Courtesy of Frog Designs Many of today's hot new phones started out as just a glimmer in an industrial designer's eye. The most successful of these new designs are picked up by handset manufacturers and eventually offered to you by your cell phone service provider.

14. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Horrendous. Looks like a birth-control pill case.

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes haha. They used roman numbers for Air Jordans until the 23rd (XX3-is what it says on my box)

Air Jordan IV, V, VI and so forth.

Now they are just called Air Jordan 2010, 2011...etc.

I collected them all.

16. FutureStan macrumors member

Nanotechnology

Great thread, thanks to the OP for starting it.

This is an extremly intriguing concept by Nokia, but lets face it, Nokia has no chance of pulling this off till the next millennium lol, figured Apple has better chances to take a shot at this. :rolleyes:

I know it's a long, long shot lol. But still, that would be so cool that 16% of the earth population would die of excitement. :D

17. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

- CPU : Quantum AP.
    - RAM : 1TB.
    - Flash Memory : 1TB.
    - Display : 4"~100" Adjustable 3D Hologram Display.
    - Size : 1.61" x 1.48"
    - Network : 10Gbps 7G Network, True Unlimited Data, True Unlimited Hotspot.
    - Battery : Standby 1 year, wireless charging.
    - Favorite Apps : AI 7.0, Trani 8.0
    - Favorite Features : 3D FaceTime, 3D Siri.
    - Camera : Multiview 3D camera. :rolleyes:

18. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I predict at its current pace the way it has gone, in 10-20 years it will be about 10-20 years behind Android.

19. iWord macrumors newbie

iWord

I'd prefer eyeing the iPhone 8 instead of 20 and 20S. lol

20. HoopTrundler macrumors member

Whatever the iPhone 20 is like, I'm sure it won't be good enough for hardcore fanboys. -__-

21. Caliber26, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Way may not have a phone, as we know it. I'd like to think it'll be a chip, or some sort of tiny device you carry with you (for those that are scared of getting chipped) and it'll be powered by some type of muscled-up love child of OS X and iOS that's deeply integrated with everything: your watch, your car's dashboard & steering wheel, your TV's and most electronics in your home, hell, maybe even your reading glasses (and sunglasses) will be incorporated into this brand new "iLife" (we'll call it that for now, lol).

Plus, I can see it 'following' you everywhere you go...schools, your job, the mall, banks, airports, restaurants, hotels, friends' and family's homes - EVERYWHERE. Your music, pictures, videos, contacts, emails...all of it, readily available anywhere you go without having to carry a phone, laptop, or iPad. Our cities will be fully equipped with compatible technology that allows us to take our Apple experience with us anywhere we go. Think Minority Report, when Tom Cruise enters Gap and all things are customized for him...something like that but with the refinement that only Apple can bring to the table.

Only time will tell. I certainly look forward to witnessing it all.

22. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Oh really? The tablet version of that was already featured in Avatar! :p

[​IMG]

23. Acronym macrumors 68000

when I read this it makes me think my TV is excited to show me something haha

24. Aftershocker macrumors member

Yes but your Android device will by then only have enough power to run for 5 min :D