Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bravia3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
I’m debating rather to change to the iPhone 11 Pro Max soon, or wait till 2020 for new iPhones which I’m sure will be new designs and better.
However...

I am not interested in 5g “due to health effects” and I am guessing the new iPhones in 2020 will be using it.

Has anyone used 5g and measured the amount of radiation and high frequency around 5g spots and coming from their device?

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Well we know that next year 5G won’t be nearly implemented well enough for us to actually get 5G on our iPhones for probably another two years.

Having said that I was kind of faced with the same situation and decided to go from the X to the 11 Pro Max because of the rumors that the next year’s sizes on the pro models are going to get smaller 5.4 (too small) and larger 6.7 (too big) and I think the 6.5 is my sweet spot.

Sine 11 Pro has the new camera it was a worthy upgrade. Next year‘s camera won’t be any better, if anything 2020 the notch will be smaller and will include 5G that won’t be even usable for another year after that.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Sine 11 Pro has the new camera it was a worthy upgrade. Next year‘s camera won’t be any better, if anything 2020 the notch will be smaller and will include 5G that won’t be even usable for another year after that.
The camera WILL be better as it will have a ToF sensor but I got the 11 Pro as it's camera is more than enough for my needs now and I couldn't wait, switched from Android to Apple for good.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I’m debating rather to change to the iPhone 11 Pro Max soon, or wait till 2020 for new iPhones which I’m sure will be new designs and better.
However...

I am not interested in 5g “due to health effects” and I am guessing the new iPhones in 2020 will be using it.

Has anyone used 5g and measured the amount of radiation and high frequency around 5g spots and coming from their device?

I agree, but you could surely just use a network package that’s still 4G and doesn’t support 5G? I don’t think you would be affected then PLUS you’ll get the far far far superior Qualcomm modem, and with a bit of luck a better antenna design too.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
Disregarding the fear of 5G for absolutely no reason, you having a 5G phone or not won't change anything if it's the towers / cells that are putting out the signal. You'll still be subjected to its brain melting frequencies and spooky sounding "millimeter" waves!

Reactions: Ladybug and mavis

Bravia3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Thanks for the answers guys, really tough decision 😖 I do like the 11 Pro Max size and camera

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Thing is, you could say this every year. ‘Oh, wait until next year for something better.’ iPhones always get improvements, so it’s kinda a moot point. Get what you want for the here and now, don’t keep thinking about what might be coming. ;)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I’ve been an every year or sometimes every other year upgrader since the iPhone started and this will be my first 3 year cycle since the 11 Pro lineup didn’t offer any reason (1 feature didn’t do it since only a new camera wasn’t enough to) so I am staying with my X till 2020. I’m sure at some point I will want to cave, especially since I had Plus phones for 3 years before downsizing to the X and my next iPhone will be a Max. I just can’t justify getting the 11 Pro Max and I expect the 2020 iPhone to be a bigger jump than this year and worth it.

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
Wait for the rumored iPhone SE2!
Heard about that possibly upcoming phone. Turns out it may not be as small or compact as the current SE's form factor. But on the other hand it won't be huge (probably iPhone 8 size, recycled design as well).

I have mixed feelings about this (assuming it'll actually be released). On one hand I welcome Apple's decision to release an iPhone with the classic and iconic bezeled w/ home button design. It's a design many people (including myself) love. White bezels even hide fingerprints and scratches. On the other hand there are still many people out there who prefer the 4 inch display and the boxy form factor of the SE. Should they be left in the dust? I personally don't think they should.

And what would be the fate of the 8+? Will it be discontinued alongside the 8 during late March or early April 2020?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
5G ‘health affects’? Then you probably shouldn’t own a microwave, go out in direct sunlight, etc.😁 We (Or I mean the OP in this matter) really can’t worry about something with health affects, when there’s no conducive studies for something that’s not even released yet.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Heard about that possibly upcoming phone. Turns out it may not be as small or compact as the current SE's form factor. But on the other hand it won't be huge (probably iPhone 8 size, recycled design as well).

I have mixed feelings about this (assuming it'll actually be released). On one hand I welcome Apple's decision to release an iPhone with the classic and iconic bezeled w/ home button design. It's a design many people (including myself) love. White bezels even hide fingerprints and scratches. On the other hand there are still many people out there who prefer the 4 inch display and the boxy form factor of the SE. Should they be left in the dust? I personally don't think they should.

And what would be the fate of the 8+? Will it be discontinued alongside the 8 during late March or early April 2020?

if based on past business decisions by Apple then this is most likely the last year the 8 and 8 plus get sold by Apple.

Reactions: Locke Cole

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Disregarding the fear of 5G for absolutely no reason, you having a 5G phone or not won't change anything if it's the towers / cells that are putting out the signal. You'll still be subjected to its brain melting frequencies and spooky sounding "millimeter" waves!
I don't know why more people don't think about this. Your phone's RF emissions are a tiny fraction of what the tower is emitting - not just your specific carrier but EVERY carrier, on multiple frequencies, 24/7. Lol

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
if based on past business decisions by Apple then this is most likely the last year the 8 and 8 plus get sold by Apple.

I think so too. Whether the 8/8+ will be discontinued late March/early April or September of 2020 remains to be seen.

Apple discontinued the 5s when the SE released (late March 2016). Will they discontinue the 8 and even 8+ when this SE2/8s releases (presumably late March/early April 2020)? I guess only time will tell.

ActionFigures

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2018
Can someone show me a mock-up of what we can really expect next year? I'm dying for a leak of the front. I know they said that one that went viral on Twitter would be damn near impossible rn

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Can someone show me a mock-up of what we can really expect next year? I'm dying for a leak of the front. I know they said that one that went viral on Twitter would be damn near impossible rn

you do know that absolutely no one here can give you a mock up what to expect next year. Absolutely no one. So why bother asking? Perhaps next September

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
5G is rolled out in a decent amount of cities, and if carriers know the iPhones next year will be capable of it in 2020 best believe in almost a full year from now it will be more prominent than most think...I don't get why ppl are making it seem like relevant 5G is so far away, think about how many years now its been tested, not to mention that there are places with it already.

Reactions: ROLLTIDE1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.