iPhone 2G - 2.1 upgrade beneficial?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chox99, Oct 2, 2008.

1. chox99 macrumors regular

I'm sure it's been asked before, but what would be the benefit of upgrade it to 2.1 for my 2G phone? Is battery life increased? less crash? So far, I heard people saying 2.1 does nothing for 2G phone.

Additional Question, I have 2.0.1. Can I just restore to 2.1 (using itunes 8) and winpwn it just like what I did with 2.0.1?

Thanks guys.

2. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I think 2.1 for my first gen. iPhone was beneficial. 2.1 has a lot of bug fixes kinked out and for my phone, I see an increase in battery life with less app crashing. However for me, it seems that reception is poorer.

As for your second question, I'm sorry that I cannot answer. After the 2.0 update, I do not know how to jailbreak.

3. ElBerserko macrumors member

I'd wait for the next update. There are some serious bugs in the fetch email system for 2.1. If you are good with 2.0.1 I wouldn't bother. I wish I could go back.

The only reason I get better battery with 2.1 is because my phone now doesn't bother checking for new email when on battery while in standby.