IPHONE 2G 40 dollar plan possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DarkFlame, Jul 9, 2008.

1. DarkFlame macrumors regular

Anyone know if I can get a 2g iphone and stay on my current 40 dollar plan or am I forced to pay an extra 20 a month for data like i am 30 dollars for the 3g?

I don't want data, just a phone, wifi and music.

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

I believe I remembered seeing a while back where you could cancel your data plan on the iPhone (2.5G). However, if you did this the phone would be almost pointless. I suppose you could use it on WIFI hotspots, but that would be it. I'm also not sure how your voicemail works at that point because it is data based as well.

3. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

I dont understand why people keep saying it makes it pointless. My house has wifi, my campus has wifi, my work has wifi.. I pick up unlocked wifis in my park, places I like to eat. It isn't pointless, I just don't choose to pay an extra 360 dollars a year for service I dont need. I need a new phone, and I'd like to consolidate it with a wifi/pda device and an mp3 player. Thats it.

4. crobbins macrumors 6502

All right, I'm sorry. I should think about everyone's needs not just my own. I have found in my experiences it would have been pointless to go without it. It seems that way with many other people as well. I suppose someone who is doing what you are doing, it would actually be great.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

its actually only 240 a year because the iPhone 2.5G data plan is 20 a month, not 30 like the 3G

6. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

7. eneisch macrumors 6502

Does you current $40 plan include data? If it does I think you can stay on that plan only if the iPhone is unlocked and you use your current AT&T sim, but you are doing this on the sly. To officially activiate a 1st gen iPhone on the AT&T network it needs to be activited through iTunes and they will make you add a $20 plan and sign a new two year contract (although you will not lose current upgrade eligibility if you have it) during the activiation process.

If you do go the first route I believe that AT&T can detect that the phone you are using is a 1st gen iPhone and I believe the way their TOS reads they can change your plan to the $20 data plan at their discretion.

8. elistan macrumors 6502a

I read one post from somebody that he simply called AT&T and convinced the rep to remove the data plan from his account. No idea if that's by corporate policy or he simply got an agreeable rep. You can try that yourself, but then you'd be stuck with paying $20/mo if it doesn't work. <shrug>

edit - here, read this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=522618