iPhone 2G 4GB worth $75?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tom2847, Jul 28, 2010.

1. tom2847 macrumors regular

I own an iPhone 4 and I sold my iPhone 2G like two years ago for $50 and I regret it. I would LOVE to have my old phone back because it's basically a "collectors" item in my eyes as it's the FIRST iPhone and probably the best built one (maybe besides iPhone 4).

Anyway, I found someone on craigslist to sell me their "great condition" iphone 2G 4GB for $75 and they live 10 mins away from me. Is this price worth it just to have a mess around with? Even if I just jailbreak and install themes or maybe even Android and use it as a ipod touch. What do ya think?

ALSO, did they ever fix the android port battery problem?

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I think so. It's the perfect device to just jailbreak and experiment with.

3. tom2847 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking. I wanna get more peoples input though.

I really wanna install Android on this though...does anyone know if they fixed that battery problem?

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

You should get it. You never know, 10 to 20 years from now, the first iPhone could be worth A LOT!

5. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

if you have $75 bucks on your table

you could buy a thousand tacos!:p and get fat...:rolleyes:

but buying an iPhone doesn't get you fat:rolleyes:

6. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I can't answer the android question. But I'll throw out there that Augen released a 7" android tablet (running 2.1) for 150$ at kmart. It looks cool. And for that price I think I'll pick one up.

It's got an 800mhz CPU 256 RAM. Wifi. 2gb internal storage and an SD card slot. Also comes with leather case.

7. Los macrumors regular

I would take that deal in a heartbeat. I currently have a broken iPhone 2G with 16 GBs of storage, so I could easily switch the screens around and then have a perfectly conditioned 16 GB iPhone 2G. :)

But, I got my 16 GB at a bargain compared to other iPhones that I kept on seeing on eBay. $114 for it. Not that bad.

I would go for it if I were you, seeing as I saw a couple of 4GB iPhone 2Gs on eBay a few days back selling for above $120 and with broken screens.

8. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I'm keeping my pristine Gen2 8gb iPhone because it is worth more to me than the price I could get. I suppose that the battery will eventually fail to take a charge and it will eventually become an iconic paperweight.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You must have been smoking crack to sell the iPhone 2G for 50 freaking dollars a year after it was released lol.

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Yeah, agreed! Was sad to hear he got only $50. Thats a shame, I dumped mine 2G a year after it's release for $250

12. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I sold my original iPhone in June of 2008 (after WWDC) for 450$

Then paid 299.99 for the white 16gb 3G

So I banked 150$ :)

13. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

$75 is a good price, but seeing it's craigslist try to get it for $60.....

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

IF you have the extra $75, go for it, my mom is using my original 2G in perfect condition, as soon as I can I am going to replace her with a 3G and save my original iPhone. :D

15. etceteraism macrumors member

I still have a 2G iPhone (will be upgrading on Friday though I hope!). I'm going to keep it for the same reason-durability, future worth, "iconic" status.....I'll put it in a drawer with my 3rd gen iPod (the one with the 4 buttons on top of the wheel). Mine is beat up though after being used by my boyfriend for 1 yr and me for 2-so I doubt I could ever get much for it.

I still love the 2G and if it wasn't for the fact that my contract was up for renewal I'd be keeping it even longer.

16. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Get it now!!!!!! I'm still using my original iPhone 2G.. waiting till iPhone 4 is in stock. My gf wants the 2G, but hell no - i'm keeping it! Its hardly got any marks - from a distance it looks brand new. The new iPhone 4 does make it look crappy - spec wise, but one day i'll be able to look at my 2G and say "this is the phone that changed the mobile industry".

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

Considering I sold my iPhone 2G (8GB) for $80 on Craigslist just six weeks ago, I say go for it. Mine had many key scratches on the back though which created black scrapes and I dropped it a couple times. The screen was still pristine though after three different owners.

Personally, I wouldn't care for an iPhone 2G unless I used it for a cheap back-up phone. I already jailbroken it to the max when I had one. I am not the "retro" phone collector type. They end up just heavy paperweights with a DEAD battery that needs to be replaced. Like babysitting something old that still won't double in value because it is NOT rare at all.

But I will keep my current iPhone 4 life. :cool: For both sentimental and practical reasons. The battery also looks very easy to replace because the back is so easy to remove. When the iPhone 4 no longer is my primary phone, I could still renew its life with a new battery to become an iPod touch for many years to come...

18. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

I wouldn't give up mine for $75! (It's also in near perfect condition and the battery will still last all day.) I say go for it!

19. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I've got the original iPhone 2G as well, but it's slowing down a bit. Time to upgrade to the new iPhone or Samsung's Captivate (but probably the iPhone).

20. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

21. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I remember back when the 3G first came out and buying an 8Gb 2g for $150. Then sold it for $200 a couple months later and I could kick myself now for doing that. :mad:

22. james92se macrumors 6502a

I'm keeping my first gen iPhone 4GB indefinitely. It's still a fantastic phone and since it's jailbroken I have a ton of neat apps. I would regret getting rid of it for the $75 or so I could get for it.

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

[​IMG]

Just for nostalgia....

The first few iPhone commercials in 2007.

"Hello" ad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bvfs4ai5XU

Commercials with the song, "Perfect Timing" by Orba Squara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lZMr-ZfoE4

^^ I remember downloading three commercials with the Orba Squara song onto my PSP and watching it repeatedly. I had iPhone envy for the longest time back then in the summer of 2007. Oh, the memories! Funny thing is I just ended up with the Nokia N82 in Jan 2008 because my brother got the 2G iPhone on a Black Friday about 1.5 months prior. I needed a decent camera and a phone that was unlocked, so I went for the Nokia. No regrets. I didn't get the original iPhone until Nov 2008 once I signed for another AT&T contract.

Three years ago feels like yesterday to me in real world time, but in the cell phone world, it can feel like a long time ago....

[​IMG]

24. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I think $75 is about right. Last summer I bought an 8GB 2G that still had seven months Apple care on it for $150.

25. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Agreed! I'm holding on to mine, the original box and accessories, and the best part- the black launch day bag. ;)