Iphone 2G 8Gb driving me crazy many problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sahloul, Feb 23, 2011.

1. sahloul macrumors newbie

Hi ok i joined this site specially for this because it is driving me crazy@!!!! ok so i got this iphone 2G 8Gb like really cheap(like20$ lol) but here is the catch! its wifi doesnt work! it is greyed out! + it has a small part of the touch screen that doesnot work! and here is what is really driving me crazy! so when i open the phone its all good i get the apple logo then opens normally! but then, if i lock it(press power button) that is it! it goes black and refuses to come back! it accepts calls and all i just get a blank whit screen when i hit the home button. the only way for it to come back to normal is to hard reset!(power+home) !!! can somebody please tell me how can i fix this please! and btw dont worry i got it really cheap so i pretty much couldnt care less about warranty or anything! i will take it all apart if i need to lol! oh and btw i am in tunisia so Apple store is not really an option here! thank you for your help i will keep up to date! :)

2. sahloul thread starter macrumors newbie

3. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I would try restoring the OS first off and see if that solves your problems. Otherwise, you're probably looking at a new phone. If you bought it for 20 bucks, it's probably not in great working order. I just sold my old iPhone 2G for $125 in proper working order, and that was with some nicks out of the aluminum backing.

If you're looking to try and get it working again, you'll probably have to crack it open and replace some parts (and you most likely would; sounds like your wifi is dead), check out ifixit.com. They have parts for iPhones and the prices aren't bad. Best of luck, I enjoyed my iPhone 2G.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You got it rely cheap and you're really going to spend more than it's worth fixing it.

Spend more and get another phone.

5. sahloul thread starter macrumors newbie

lol thanks for the reply guys ! oh and btw i am not willing to spend a dime on it so hhh no parts or anything oh and i reset like 6 times but no go ! i guess its hardware issue i went fussing around and i guess i really messed it up this time! i tried to reflow the wifi using a mini blow torch (crazy right) any way i did it with the battery still attached i didn't really wanna bother desoldering it! too much hassle anyways off course the battery was dead before i started the operation and now it wont start!!! when i plug it in the computer it gives me that charging battery with the tiny red line in it! its been like this for about +an hour and a half! and btw when i take it off the usb it doesn't say plug in to charge it immediately turns off! any help maybe?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The 2G didn't have the wifi solder problem, so reflowing was a waste of time. Reflowing with a blowtorch, however, pretty much toasted your phone.

The End.

7. sahloul thread starter macrumors newbie

its not like i havent done it before lol it just hasnt worked + didnt do it long enough! + i dont think i toasted it because when i remove the battery and plug it in the computer i get the apple logo ! so thats a good sign i guess right? it does that restart loop but itsa because it doesnt have the battery but when i attach the battery back ! it gives me a red line charging battery and stay like that for a bit! i am going to maybe take a look at it tomorrow maybe take off the battery resolder it back perhaps it would work! or maybe try on a wall charger maybe would help ! who knows but i dont think it is toasted ? is it! coz that would suck since i bought it to attempt to fix it and make a few bucks out of it! + btw i am from a country where 20 buck is euivalant to 28 dinars in our currency and it is not that much money but still it is alot! + to give you an idea here in my country an iphone 4 is about 900-1000 dinars which is about 650-700$$$ so yeah thery're pretty expensive

8. patp Guest

mini blowtorch? forget about it. small clean soldring iron with a steady hand and someone who knows what they are doing? yes.

blow torch? no.

9. sahloul thread starter macrumors newbie

+ it wasnt exactelly a blow torch lol it was a lighter but the flame coming out of it is like a blow torch 's flame its pretty much like this one
    [​IMG]

10. sahloul thread starter macrumors newbie

11. sahloul thread starter macrumors newbie

come on you mguys help! + it now only shows a battery charging icone

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you aren't willing to spend any money on it, looks like you are just out 20$.

13. sahloul thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess i am ! lol i will try to sell it for parts! :)

14. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Take it to the Apple Store, so they can tell you if its even fixable

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

They don't have many Apple stores in Tunisia.:D

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yikes, a case of you get what you pay for? I doubt it's worth to fix at this point. Might as well sell it for parts, you'll make back more than you paid for it. Use those funds towards a new one.

17. sahloul thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks you guys i guess i will! :) and yeah apple store ? in tunisia? lol arent you funny! idk such thing existes! lol if it does i doubt anyone goes there! so i was ssaying now i had some hope left since now here is the problem! when i remove the red battery line it gives me little battery with a red line and charging sign under it so screen is good! but when i connect the red wire whil still plugged i get the apple logo then shuts off! ! same thing all over! i will try to remove the solder from the MB and resolder it maybe that is the problem if not i will sell it for parts! man why did i do it ! lol it was working only no wifi i had to mess with it! lol