iPhone 2G battery issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kannesss, Aug 28, 2010.

1. kannesss macrumors 6502a

A few days back, I received an iPhone 2G because I really don't do a lot of crazy games or anyhing so it seemed like a good idea. Until now. I don't have a sim card yet so I had to jailbreak it to be able to get past the insert sim card screen. Right at this second it's on 3.2 os. I expected that after 4 years of use it would have a less than good battery...but everytime I turn it on, it will go to the home screen then cose out due to lack of battery charge...but it's plugged into the charger and it dies even after I let it charge all night...it won't hold a charge...so is there anything I an do to fix this or do I just have to send it to apple to replace the battery?
    thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its moset likely some other hardware issue besides the battery.
    It shouldnt die while still plugged into the charger and it should definatelly last longer than a few seconds.
    Sounds like someone sold you a bad/defective iphone. See if you can return it.
    I wouldnt advise you to spend $200 and get it replaced at Apple. 2G iphones are not worth much.

3. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think...maybe...the cord was the issue...but in case it's not, thank you for that reply, I know its not worth a lot, i just don't have a lot... so its a catch 22. but any other advice? besides get an iphone 4...

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If it IS just the battery, Apple can and will replace them, at least according to my local Apple store when I checked on that earlier this summer. Can't remember what the charge was going to be, but it certainly wasn't the $200 for an out of warranty replacement, and it was supposedly a Genius bar appointment kind of thing. Assuming you have a local Apple store, of course.

I went the iPhone 4 route, so I never had it done, but it should be doable.

5. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

The closest apple store is 2 hours away. Does genius bar mean I just take it in and they fix it there? 200 seems so high. So I thought it was the cord but lastnight I left it in all night and it will only charg to half way full then won't go past that.. Think maybe it's the battery.. Or something more serious..?