iPhone 2G Battery Options - Going on long flight

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by computerinfo, Feb 19, 2009.

1. computerinfo macrumors newbie

I am going on a vacation and would like to have an additional battery for my original iPhone for the long flight.

I know that there are many options out there, but I know that the people here will quickly be able to lead me to some of the better ones.

Please show me links to reviews and or product pages.

Thank you

2. firewood macrumors 604

I carry an old iPod Touch in addition to my iPhone for long flights. I shut down the iPhone, and then run the battery on the iPod Touch down first to save the battery on my iPhone for arrival phone calls.

I also have a RichardSolo external battery pack, but haven't had to use it yet, so can't give any review comments, other than that it's small, and not too expensive. There are several other vendors for these types of things.

ymmv.

3. westlakers macrumors newbie

Hi I am carrying iphone ext. battery from fastmac and I have been testing that for last 3 months, pretty happy with it. the latest model can support both 2G and 3G. We offer free s/h and give more discount for multiple packs. see this link:
    http://www.3epower.com/servlet/the-199/iPhone-3G-Extended-Battery/Detail

4. computerinfo thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone else have opinions. I did see the APC brick. That look interesting.

I need more ideas please.

5. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

I've been using the Mophie Juice Pack for about a month and I have to say I love it.

I hate that it's so thick now, but I think the new 'air' model will turn out great.

The other downfall is that it costs so much (100 dollars!), but if you're a heavy user it's definitely worth it.

6. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

If you have a car charger, under the seats of most airlines is a car charger port.

7. westlakers macrumors newbie

similar too in Fastmac iV, it is thicker, but it adds the cushion in case you drop the iphone to the hard floor by accident.

I also had a few ideas how to make iV a multi-functional docking station (but still maintain its smallness), I have talked to the fastmac about that improvement.

for me it is worth the money, I do not need to charge my iphone for about three days, the iV has 3100 mah capacity, enough to charge the iphone twice.

8. computerinfo thread starter macrumors newbie

I never knew this. I guess I should call the airlines to see if my plane has one. Is there a website that lats what plans have the charger.

9. westlakers macrumors newbie

I think the first-class or business class can get the power outlet, not the economic class.

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Actually, you can look up the configurations / seating options right here: http://www.seatguru.com/

Dave

11. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Which airline and what destination? Some economy class seats have USB outlets for you to connect to the PTV system and charging. Mostly on Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Air Canada, maybe Continental too.

12. franzmueller macrumors regular

I´ve got the Kensington mini Battery pack and I won´t recommend it .

why ?

1) It won´t work with cases .

2) You need to recharge once a week even if you don´t use it cause it can´t hold a full charge for several weeks and when you really need it , you find out that the b**** battery only has 3/4 or 1/2 of its charge.

3) It charges only up to 80 % on an almost empty iphone battery ( if the battery pack is fully loaded )

For emergencies is ok though , and it was fairly cheap.

Hope this info helps .

Saludos

Franz

13. computerinfo thread starter macrumors newbie

From my limited research, it looks like this may be the best option. Does anyone agree or know something better:

APC Mobile Power Pack UPB10 Rechargeable Battery
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apc-mobile-power-pack-upb10-rechargeable-battery/

Unfortunately, I do not believe that the iPhone can be used while it is charging so this may be a key determinant.

I also see that there may be two version available. One doesn't have the wall adapter.

They seem to be going for about $35 on eBay.

14. computerinfo thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Huh? I can use my iPhone when its in the dock or charging. Isn't the battery packs suppose to charge and power your iPhone too?

*I have used those charging USB ports in flights with my iPhone before.

*If you are going on a transatlantic or transpacific flight, I recommend you get some sleep to rid of jet lag.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

17. computerinfo thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not realize that this question was so hard. Would anyone care to summurize my options. I just need the ability to use my iPhone 2G on long flights or times away from home.

Thanks.

18. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Where are you going, how long is the flight, what airline are you on? These may help in making recommendations for you. For example, depending on your flight, you might have power options on the plane itself. :)

19. trule macrumors 6502

geez, why don't you summarise your own options?

20. computerinfo thread starter macrumors newbie

The flight I will be on does not have a power adapter. Forget the flight issue. I just want a good portable power souce that works well.

21. westlakers macrumors newbie

since I have been using iphone iv charger for last 3 months, I would rate it as 4 out of 5, it has reasonable capacity (3100mah), but it is kind of bulky (it is a case too), however it may be good for protection if drop iphone to floor by accident. also the price is an issue ($99)

the imaxpower's imp500a should be good just look at its spec. the price is very good. I have bought one for evaluation yesterday. it has 5000 mah capacity, the highest I have ever seen, enough juice for 3~4 charges. the problem is that you need to carry it separately, do not we have enough accessories to carry?

I am sure there are lots of good chargers in the market as other members pointed out, just do not have time to evaluate them all. but if you are really serious, please contact me privately, I can arrange something for you.