iphone 2g battery replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Laxex Valentine, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Laxex Valentine macrumors newbie

Hello!

My sister has a jailbroken iphone 2g on 3.0 firmware. We purchased the iphone when it first launched a few years ago. As of now, her phone's battery drains out very rapidly, even though she charged it for over a night. I am pretty sure the cause of the problem is from the old battery. My question is: is it worth the money and risk to change the battery, or should we just consider purchasing her a new iphone 3gs? Oh by the way, we live in China.

Thanks for your help!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Check what apps are installed through the jb first could be there is a background task running that's zapping the battery. As for changing the battery it's fairly easy with basic soldering skills.

3. NathanA macrumors 6502a

You being in China might make things difficult, since Apple in the U.S. probably won't be willing to deal with you from that distance, but I understand that in general you have a few options if you want to keep the phone and don't feel like shelling out more $$ to get a new one (unless you want to use the poor battery performance as an excuse :)).

First, there are third-party battery replacement services that usually charge somewhere in the range of US$25-50 to replace the battery for you. If you're not in the U.S., you might find it difficult to take advantage of some of the services that have been spoken of before in these forums, but there are probably similar services that you can find at your disposal in China as well.

Second, if you're feeling adventurous, you can get yourself a new battery, say, on eBay, and replace it yourself. It's no cakewalk to open up the phone, and on top of that, the problem with the original iPhone, unlike the 3G/3GS, is that the battery is SOLDERED to the mainboard for some inexplicable reason, so that means that you'll need to break out the soldering iron. Ugh.

Third, if you can ever get yourself over to the U.S., or if you have family/friends in the U.S. who would be willing to do it on your behalf, Apple has a battery replacement service for all iPhone models for $79 (out-of-warranty). Although Apple talks about it as a battery "replacement" service, my understanding (which, admittedly, I have yet to confirm) is that they will actually supply you with a replacement, remanufactured iPhone of the same model as the one you turn into them to get the battery replaced on + the $79 fee. So, for a little extra money, you can have a practically brand-spanking-new phone. (I believe there are some restrictions on this service. The phone must be otherwise fully functional and show no signs of extreme abuse; otherwise the only option Apple might give you is a $199 iPhone out-of-warranty replacement.)

-- Nathan

4. Laxex Valentine thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, what do you mean by background applications running on her jailbroken phone? My sister has various applications that she downloaded from itunes running on her iphone. About the soldering part, I do not even think that I have basic soldering skills :(

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There are several things you can install via Cydia that run in the background even changing the ui to a moving one effects the battery life. As for basic soldering skills I mean very basic