iPhone 2G has unresponsive spot on screen, can't "Dismiss" window!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Astral Cars, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Astral Cars macrumors regular

Hey I've got an iPhone 2G and part of the screen has stopped responding to my touch. It's a strip near the bottom. I assumed it was a hardware issue, but for the heck of it I restored it. When I turned it on then, I got the little window telling you how to rearrange the icons. Unfortunately the "Dismiss" button is exactly in the dead spot of the screen. I'm pretty sure the dead spot is not much bigger than it either.
    So basically I've got this window I can't make go away, making the phone unusable. I can still receive calls and texts and stuff, but I can't send them or make calls. Nothing seems to clear the screen either. I restarted it (soft and hard) and I synced it with my computer and it always pops back up. I'm planning on buying a new 3GS to replace it because even if the window goes away, it still has a semi-broken screen. I would really like to have it semi functional though to use as an emergency phone or faux-iPod Touch.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. casey.in.co macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS dead spot

hi...i too have a dead zone (more than just a spot). The whole left side of my screen goes dead after a few minutes. i reset the phone, etc. and it will work for a while, but then it goes dead again. i have searched and it seems like this is a relatively common problem... what is the best way to fix?? thanks!
    c.