Iphone 2G, home button not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by riveting, Nov 10, 2009.

1. riveting macrumors 6502

Hi,

This actually happens a couple of month ago. I bought a used iphone 2g 8gb. It is working perfectly for the first week, but one day the home button suddenly does not work. I am at JB firmware 2.0 at that time, I flashed back the offcial firmware 2.0 a couple of times and flash it back to firmware 1.14 afterwards, and no luck the home button is still not working.

I'v tried to unload it on ebay, it gets good value at that time but my first buyer insist returning the phone. Now, the iphone has been collecting dust for a couple of months now.

I finally realized I should be asking your guys opinion here. Is fixing home button an easy or hard task, do I need to buy any part? Or am I better just try to sell it on ebay, unfortunately, I don't think I can get much money from it, maybe $100 or less, I don't know, and on ebay I have to worry about getting negative feedback for nothing.

Thanks,
    rivet

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

It's a hard task - I have done it a few times and it is much harder than 3g phone. You need to replace the home button, dock etc since all one piece. You will also need to solder very small components. Should be ok to sell on ebay - just sell it as faulty or spares repair with no returns.