Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricAndy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Hi,

I'm experiencing some issues with an 8GB iPhone 2G that I have recently acquired.

I previously used an original 16GB iPod Touch which I manually managed between my MacBook at home and PC at work to playback songs and add Podcasts. Since starting to use my iPhone and selecting the 'Manually Manage Music and Videos' then clicking apply, I receive the following prompt:

itunes.jpg

This then erases the iPhone and allows me to upload and playback my media. Problem being when I go home or back to work I need to re-tick and apply the setting again, forcing my iPhone to produce the prompt above and forcing me to erase the iPhone if I want to add more music/videos.podcasts.

I'm using iTunes 8.2 on both platforms.

I don't remember having these issues setting up manually management with my iPod Touch.

If anyone can offer any help or guidance related to this issue then I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Admittedly not an iTunes expert, but it seems to (obviously ;) ) be looking for the most recently sync'ed iTunes library file.

If your disks (are shared) on the work PC and Mac and home are accessible over the Interwebz (via VPN or whatever), hold down the control key [for PC] and double click on the iTunes icon. This brings up a prompt/dialog box to select a properly synced library.

I've found it a PITA to sync between two computers (I'm on a PC platform) -- consequently I only sync on one computer, and use another for "Transferring purchases" and "backing up" said iPhone. No sync'ing though on my 2nd PC [laptop].

I should state this info is from using iTunes v10.x

Others here are, no doubt, better versed in the art of iTunes library management than I, so I hope they can chime in. Reason I responded is I had the same issue early on.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Well first of all, I'm not really sure why you're using iTunes 8.2. We're on 10.1.1 now, and there have been some real improvements since iTunes 8. I also wasn't even aware that newer devices would sync with older versions of iTunes.

But as for your problem, are you syncing the iPhone contacts/mail/messages/etc on either computer or do you just use the phone for media? Because if you're syncing the information but manually managing the media then you will run into that problem, and I'm not sure how to solve it.

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
This article is a bit dated (from 2008), but since you are using an older version of iTunes, it may be pertinent and/or help you out.

Note: I haven't tried out anything specified in the article, I just noticed it when I was randomly perusing the site. So perform at your own discretion.

How to sync your iPhone with multiple computers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.