Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
My dad put his razr through the washer and needs a phone until he can get a new one. I took out my old 2G, unlocked and jailbreaked it. I then downloaded a fake APN from http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/ so if my dad clicks on a button it will say cannot connect to cellular data network. So he cant be charged for data. How long until ATT picks up on this and charges us?

Also ATT recognizes it as an iphone on their website.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You do not need a data plan with a 2G. AT&T will notice 3G and 3GS' without within a few months, but a data plan isn't needed on a 2G. Don't bother with all this workaround nonsense, just tell them to take the plan off and block data to the SIM. They will do this for the 2G only.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Wow I never knew that. So i can just restore get rid of all the jailbreak crap and activate throught itunes. Then go to ATT.com and just select no iphone data plan and good to go?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Wow I never knew that. So i can just restore get rid of all the jailbreak crap and activate throught itunes. Then go to ATT.com and just select no iphone data plan and good to go?

Iiiii'm not sure about that. Every instance that I have heard, you have to have the full account and then call them, speak to a rep, have him/her remove data and block the SIM, and then you need to check the bill at the end of the second month thereafter to make sure that it is gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.