iPhone 2G - ONLY Speakerphone and headset calling works

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eVolcre, May 21, 2010.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Sorry for the cryptic title but I'm not sure how to describe this. I've got my vintage original iPhone that's been serving my needs well so far. About a month ago it just stopped making and receiving phone calls. It would connect but with no sound.

I did a complete restore/upgrade and unlock/jailbreak last week and am now running 3.1.2

Tried testing it today and it DOES make and receive phone calls when I use the speakerphone, both sides hear each other. Same with a headset (wired or bluetooth) no problem. But when I use it in normal mode I can't hear anything come out of the earpiece and the other side can't hear me talk.

The only help google gave me was a suggestion to plug the headphones in and out about 20 times - the phone thinks it's in headset mode. That didn't work. And .. when the iPod is on and I unplug the headphones, it pauses the track. SO the phone knows when the headphones are in or out.

Any tips? I travel 10 months of the year abroad so upgrading isn't really an option right now. Anyway, I'm attached to my original - it works fine for my needs and it'd be nice to get it working again.

Thanks in advance,

eV

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Part of your post was confusing. Are you saying you always get the message that the iPhone is in headset mode? If so, the jack idea is one fix, but a Genius may need to clean the jack. However, I had the same problem and they had to replace the phone.

3. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Sorry about the confusion Aggie. No, there is no message that it is always in headset mode. AN online article said it might be the problem.

It can make and receive calls on speakerphone.
    It can make and receive calls on headset.
    On 'normal' mode, the other side and I can't hear any sound coming from the earpiece or the normal speaker.

eV

4. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Can't believe I'm bumping a thread, after 8 years here I should know better but desperate times call for desperate measures ... :eek:

eV