Iphone 2G or 3G without data plan

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lemonbutter, Jan 4, 2011.

1. lemonbutter macrumors newbie

AT&T says that as of Sept 9, 2009, all Smartphones require a data plan. I have been with AT&T since 2007 (don't think I signed their 2009 Smartphone contract) and have never had a data plan or texting, just basic $39.99/ month service. I would like to get an iphone (actually my brother would like to give me one of his old ones - he has a 2G and 3G he wants to rid of) but I don't want AT&T to tack on the data plan.

- Can either of these phones still be used as a phone without the data plan by jailbreaking and disabling Edge?
    - Can I still use it via wi-fi?
    - And is the 2G or 3G easier or better to do this with?
    - Is there a way to keep AT&T from detecting the iphone on my plan and how do I activate the phone without going through AT&T?

thanks in advance!

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

No you must get data, they detect and add it automatically. Maybe you could get around this on a prepaid SIM, not clear on that.
    Can use wifi whenever you want.
    Is either phone unlockable? You could try tmobile.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will get away with a 2G iphone, 3G and higher models they will add a data plan to your account.
    Unless you go prepaid AT&T gosim like said above or unlock and go to Tmobile.

4. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Since when has AT&T been doing this?

My wife has used her iPhone 3G for over 2 years until the end of September 2010 without a data plan. She has been out of the country since the end of Sep 2010 and her line has been suspended since she left. She'll be back in 3 weeks and I'd like to know if they'll tack on data when her line is re-activated.

5. lemonbutter thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you "get away" with it with a 2G and not 3G?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most likelly they will.
    A few get lucky and get away for a while but they eventually catch on cause their system does scans for iphones with no data plans.
    It has been going on since the summer of 2010 and on.

I guess with the 2G they havent been adding data plans automaticly to people just people with 3G, 3GS and iphone 4 models.
    Maybe cause its Edge data only or they dont classify it the same as the other smartphones out.
    All you do is install a fake apn on the phone and block all carrier data. www.unlockit.co.nz
    And use data only thru wifi.