iPhone 2G or iPhone 3G Network Hack

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nate6631, Jun 18, 2012.

1. nate6631 macrumors newbie

Okay, so to get started, I'm about to receive two old iPhones, the 3G and the 2G. I currently own a jailbroken Verizon iPhone 4S on 5.1.1. I know about all the GSM and CDMA incompatible things. I will be jail breaking these phones and was wondering if it was possible to somehow modify the hardware to receive the CDMA radio signal instead of the GSM. I'm comfortable with opening them up and modifying or buying parts to replace it with. Would it be possible to make either one go to CDMA? Thanks for the help, and I'm sure this has been asked lots and lots, but I couldn't find anywhere that has information about doing this.

Thanks,

Nate

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You cannot do that. To do that, you'd have to research which chips to buy, write iPhone basebands for the chips, write iOS stuff for the chips and CDMA, then you'd have to get Verizon to allow it on their network. It cannot be done without Apple's help and lots of money.

3. Sterling77 macrumors newbie

Even if you did all of the research that Intell mentioned, there has never been a CDMA iPhone 2G or 3G so the required parts would not be available. However there is a new Gevey SIM adapter that is supposed to allow your iPhone 4S to function on domestic GSM frequencies. That way you could put all of your phones on a GSM carrier and be done with Verizon for good! :D

4. nate6631 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, I have been busy this week as I haven't been able to check my profile. I knew there would be a slim chance, if any but I was just thinking if it could be done

5. Applejuiced, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its very easy and simple Nate.
    And since you already know about all the GSM and CDMA incompatible things you will do great.
    5 minute job if that.
    Why not take it a step further and add an LTE chip too so you got all bands covered?