iPhone 2G OS version question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boss.king, Aug 13, 2010.

1. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm currently bidding on an iPhone 2G to use as a texting phone, and use my 3Gs for data/games/music. Can anyone recommend the fastest, most stable iOS 3 release for the 2G?

Incidently, while looking at different phones to but, I wondered, how many of you are still using a 2G as your everyday phone? Any reasons why you haven't upgraded?

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Uhm why would you swap out ur SIM card into a 2G for texting?

And if are you are using AT&T and plan on using another line, you know they will automatically add a data plan for you?

3. boss.king thread starter macrumors 68040

boss.king

Sorry, I guess a few facts are missing:
    1. I live in New Zealand
    2. Here, there is 1 carrier that has good texting packages and extortionate data charges, and another with crap texting packages but reasonable data prices
    3. I want both

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

If all you are going to do is text then use 2.2.1, it'll be faster then any iOS3 which is really meant for the 3GS.

On a side note, you realize how awkward it's going to be having to carry two devices? that alone kills a lot of the convenience in having an all-in-one smartphone. Plus you are going to be like "hay dude, ya don't call me on this number, this is txt only." and they are gonna be like "why?" and once you tell them they will think you are cheap. Just my 2 cents.

5. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I just got rid of mine, and it went through every version from 1.0.2 all the way through to 3.1.3. I'd recommend leaving it on 3.1.3 - I never had problems with mine

pac

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

My 2G is sort of a collectors item that I keep - before upgrading I had 3.1.3 and it worked fine. Granted, iOS (or iPhone OS as it was then) 2.x will probably be quicker, but if you don't want the hassle of downgrading 3.1.3 was always fine for me.

7. boss.king thread starter macrumors 68040

boss.king

Thanks. Apparently 2Gs are still in demand cos i cant seem to get one at a reasonable price. Gotta keep looking :D

8. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

3.1.3 is fine on the 2G - thats what i'm still using right now. The only reason I havent upgraded is because there are no iPhone 4s in stock. As soon as there are - thats what I will use. I'll still keep my 2G as a backup though. The reason why I never got 3G/3GS was because neither phone offered a significant upgrade in terms of features when compared to the original 2G model. The iPhone 4 finally does that with soo many new features when compared to the 2G model so thats why i'm upgrading now.