iPhone 2G parts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MST, Sep 28, 2008.

1. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I'm in need of a couple of spare parts for my trusty iPhone 2G; namely a rear panel and an antenna cover, I've seen various websites and eBay sellers offering both genuine (claimed) and variant parts but was hoping someone here could give me a recommendation based on personal experience?

2. iann1982 macrumors regular

Hi,

Looking for the same items myself, the antenna cover seems to be easy to find.

However the aluminium backs on ebay are a con, you'll find when you take the phone apart that there's lots of little pieces glued to the inside, there's not an easy way to 'transplant' these and the margin for error if you attempt this is high. The ebay backs don't come with these parts.

The only place i've found that sells them is here:
    http://mobile.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=03034

$105 dollars seems quite steep for just making something look like new again!

Let me know if you find a better solution.

Ian

3. MST thread starter macrumors 6502

MST

Coincidence or fate!?!? LOL just kidding :p

As you say the antenna covers aren't really a problem but the rear panel is another matter; there just aren't any about, and had you not told me about the "small parts" I wouldn't have known. I had a look at the link you posted and for a rear panel with "small parts" they want $65 USD which I don't think is too bad, but they're temporarily out of stock...bloody typical!

To be honest I don't really want to replace these parts myself at all, I had a bad experience trying to take apart an iPod 4G once and don't fancy a repeat performance, I've looked at a couple of places that repair iPhones but aside from the high prices for parts and labour they don't have the parts in stock either.

It may be worth buying a broken donor iPhone from eBay, but then there is no guarantee that the condition will be any better than what you already have; everything listed as mint seems to state that the items have a few minor marks and scratches in the descriptions, which surely that defeats the object!?

4. prelude2000 macrumors newbie

Most broken donor tht's cheap doesn't have good outer appearance. The one tht's still in good condition cost just as much as a working iphone.I'm not sure if ebay would be a good option either. I'm looking for the same parts as well. Over $100 just for the metal back casing i find tht ridiculous as well. I saw some add for after market back casing for like $30 but it doesnt have the metal parts as well. This kinda sux cos i scored a somewhat broken but fixable iphone, not sure if it's gonna worth fixing it though...:(