Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnote678

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Chicago, IL
So I was recently given an iPhone 2G as a friend upgraded. Currently I have Verizon and I don't want to pay a $120 cancellation fee, but I'm still considering the switch. The issue is that the power button on my iPhone doesn't work. It compresses normally and seems fine, but it does nothing. I was wondering if there's some solution to this problem. I took it to the Apple Store in Chicago and they said nothing can be done, and warranty is expired and there's no Applecare. Is there, or couldn't someone potentially write, an app that would function as a sleep button? I don't want to switch to an iPhone that won't function normally and will have compromised battery life. Thanks!

Umm...what? :confused:

You seem to have answered all of your own questions.

The phone is broken. Apple agrees.

You want someone to write an app for you to get around this problem but you "don't want to switch to an iPhone that won't function normally and will have compromised battery life."

What exactly are you asking?

cnote678

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Chicago, IL
Well the key word is 'potentially', i.e. it might still be 100%. I might activate it but I first wondered if there was a known fix or an app for the problem.

Well the key word is 'potentially', i.e. it might still be 100%. I might activate it but I first wondered if there was a known fix or an app for the problem.

Didn't mean to sound rude, I was just confused. I am not a developer so I don't know if it would be possible to write an app to do that. But chances are, that it wouldn't exactly be a top seller, so I wouldn't expect to see one anytime soon.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. If you want an iPhone, I would rather bite the bullet and sign the contract for a new one. ;) :)

cnote678

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Chicago, IL
Yeah, you're probably right. I couldn't find any apps like that so I'm going to try to activate the current iPhone and see if AT&T will allow me the 'new iPhone discount' whenever I want it. Hopefully that way I'll be able to get the new one with the discount when it comes out instead if having to buy it at full price. Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.