iPhone 2G Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoveBrisk, Jan 27, 2011.

1. LoveBrisk macrumors newbie

LoveBrisk

Hello and Thanks for looking at my thread. I've got a few questions about the iPhone 2G

I found a iPhone 2G 16GB on Craigslist for 120$ comes with otterbox, cables, box etc

THE ONLY problem is the the screen at the bottom has I guess you can say bad pixles? They are grey and are ONLY along the bottom of the screen. Here's a picture
    [​IMG]

Would this keep getting bigger if I got the phone? Or would it stay there? Also was that caused from a drop or just does it sometimes happen?

Also the Modem firmware is 04.05.04_G and the 3.1.3(7e18) is the version on phone it was very laggy and the battery drained 15-20% over a 15min ish time while I was checking the phone over. Is that because the phone was running such a advanced iOS? If I was to down grade to the proper iOS would it run smooth?

Any information is much needed and thanks for helping me.

2. jdoyle macrumors member

Two issues here I reckon

Hi,

I also have an old iPhone 2G my kids now use for playing games, etc like an iPod Touch. Regarding the battery, I am running 3.1.3 which was the last iOS released that it runs and it holds a charge for hours, maybe even better than my 3GS. I reckon your battery is gone which would be normal given the age of the phone ( They say it will not hold a charge after 3 to 5 years. ) If you want you can get a quote from a iPhone repair place on getting a new battery in there.

Regarding your display, I have no idea. There is no reason to believe it will get worse.

But I think you have two unrelated issues there.

3. LoveBrisk thread starter macrumors newbie

LoveBrisk

Thanks for the reply sir. I'm really aiming toward the iOS being the problem of the battery suckage. I've read online that the 4.0 is the Vampire of all iPhone iOS's. No madder the age is sucks the battery dry. If the battery IS the problem I can get a new one for 10$ installed and ready to go by a local friend repair guy. But my main thing is the LCD. Would it get worse if I was to buy it?

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

You said it has 3.1.3 on it for iOS right now. That's as high as the 2G goes. It won't take iOS 4 at all. Downgrading it wouldn't do anything at all. I'm not sure about the screen though. Good luck.

5. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

The screen on my Original looks like that because of a drop. It hasn't gotten worse but will fluctuate with temperature.

6. LoveBrisk thread starter macrumors newbie

LoveBrisk

I though Modern Firmware= Firmware ver? Trust me it's not the 3.1.. you can see the shadow of the main 4 icons in the background. That's the 4.1 iOS or what ever.

7. Interstella5555, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It may be jailbroken but it is not running4.2.

http://www.apple.com/ios/

You're confusing modem firmware with OS version.

8. LoveBrisk thread starter macrumors newbie

LoveBrisk

What iOS is it? Also can someone answer my screen problem?

9. zakfox1986 macrumors member

You should be able to find an iPhone 3G for another 50 bucks, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't do that. I don't have a problem with getting a 2G if you're actually getting a good deal, but you've listed two problems you know about with this particular one.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for that one, just because of the battery and screen. There's a decent chance that the screen will get worse and the battery will easily get worse over time.

Be patient and see what you can find. With that particular one you could fairly easily wind up with something that is worse than not having an iPhone at all once you've spent the money to buy it and then the money to repair it.