Iphone 2g question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by volntitan, Nov 25, 2009.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

I gave a buddy of mine my old 2g phone. It isn't under contract or anything. He wants to give it to his son, but they don't need/want the data plan. AT&T told him he has to pay the extra $20 a month, but it seems in searching that might be just a frontline line of bull. He did have them block the data to that sim, but they said once you activate the phone thru itunes it will override the block and turn data back on. So I thought I would come on here and get a definitive answer from the real experts....

Can he use the 2g iphone without having to pay for the Data plan? If so, what does he need to do to make sure he doesn't have data coming in to it?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

When you plug an AT&T SIM into an iPhone, AT&T's system knows almost immediately that you are using an iPhone. It is within the terms of the contract for AT&T to insist that you add a data plan. I do not believe, however, that people have had this actually happen as long as they were not using data. The only time people run afoul of AT&T is if they are using an unlimited dumb phone internet plan on a smart phone like the iPhone. Then they will contact you about adding the data package.

3. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

So when he activates it with his sim card on itunes, should he then contact AT&T and tell them to block the data plan? Would that work?

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

That would be your best bet. As the above poster mentioned, activating the phone in iTunes will automatically override any data block you have on the account. If the phone is already activated (which it should be) then just putting your SIM in shouldn't pose any problems.

5. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I gave my 2G iPhone to my dad. I jailbroke it and unlocked then downloaded a app that blocks data from ATT. Anything you press with internet says cant activate cellular network data. Its been about 6 months and ATT hasnt said a word