Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camaroguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I have an 8gig iphone 2g. i been all over different forums i found in google which also lead me to this one to sign up to get help. i tried using redsnow, yellowsnow, anything. nothing works. i even had a computer programer friend of mine attempt to unbrick it. the phone originally came with a sim card but my gf accidently threw it away. so a few people say its real easy to unlock and jailbreak the 2g, well not in my case. is there anything im doing wrong? i have windows vista, i follow the instructions to the T and all i get after all that hard work is the connect to itunes screen. i bought the phone originally from a guy in palm springs that came already unlocked and jailbroke with cydia and winterboard on 3.0 FW. worked great but i was getting missing calls so i wanted to redo the FW and start over from scratch using the 3.0 again. I figured it would be easy because my old blackberry pearl was unlocked and i could delete it and start over and it would keep its unlocked capability, not so with iphone i guess. so to the people who say this is an easy thing to do especially on the 2g, what am i not getting? i can take critisism i dont care as long as i hopefully get some help. sadly im in iowa visiting family for the entire winter and the closest apple store or any business that can fix this is over an hour away and i cant make the trip. p.s. i also bought an original sim on ebay, bad idea as the card itself says 3g, i didnt know atleast that it matters what version of the iphone its meant for? thanx to anyone to can help.

camaroguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I had the phone in DFU mode off and on, had it in recovery mode also.. the instructions i followed was different ones, one of them was from the actual redsnow program. others i found on youtube and etc. theres different ways to go about it but people dont get into detail saying what you should or shouldnt do, like while you restore it or unlock should there be a sim card in it or no? i tried it all with and without a sim card (not original of course). i can connect it to itunes and i can hold the shift button so i can pick the firmware to install on it which is 3.0 like i want, but when i try to use redsnow to unlock and jailbreak it either never finnishes the process or when it does, it always goes back to the connect to itunes screen, when i connect to itunes it doesnt do anything but vibrate twice to achnowlege its there but its still clearly locked and asks for a simcard setup, and it wont go beyond because i dont have the original sim.
EDIT
I am able to redo the firmware thru itunes but as far as restore, my "backup" isnt anywhere to be found to restore from, so i cant really restore it to anything but i can redo or put new firmware onto it thru itunes

camaroguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
i just clicked on that iclarified link, an error pops up and closes the window. not sure what an .ipsw or whatever is but ill google it.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Thats odd go to the iclarified website then go tutorials then iphone then unlock and look for the 2g one for windows using redsn0w.

camaroguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
doesnt work, i dont have a mac, i have vista. cant mount the dmg file.

edit..

wow man, u really saved me, my phones been bricked for a month or longer. you directed me exactly where to go in iclarified, it fixed my problem. i was retarded and was reading the mac version. you are really cool i would recomend u to anyone, granted they pay you for ur services cuz u deserve it man. thanx again

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I wish people would stop saying their phone is bricked when it clearly isn't. Your phone is not bricked if you can put it in DFU mode and restore to the official firmware. I understand your frustration, but hyperbole doesn't help us understand your problem.

As for your redsn0w problem, it sounds to me like if you'd just unplugged and replugged your phone when it got stuck at the "connect to iTunes" screen redsn0w would have finished the jailbreak and unlock without problem. That happens sometimes with redsn0w.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
doesnt work, i dont have a mac, i have vista. cant mount the dmg file.

edit..

wow man, u really saved me, my phones been bricked for a month or longer. you directed me exactly where to go in iclarified, it fixed my problem. i was retarded and was reading the mac version. you are really cool i would recomend u to anyone, granted they pay you for ur services cuz u deserve it man. thanx again

Your welcome. It is what many of us come to this forum to do, help others. I am glad it worked out.

camaroguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I wish people would stop saying their phone is bricked when it clearly isn't. Your phone is not bricked if you can put it in DFU mode and restore to the official firmware. I understand your frustration, but hyperbole doesn't help us understand your problem.

As for your redsn0w problem, it sounds to me like if you'd just unplugged and replugged your phone when it got stuck at the "connect to iTunes" screen redsn0w would have finished the jailbreak and unlock without problem. That happens sometimes with redsn0w.

see this is what i hate, people who actually know what they are doing raggin on the ones who dont. its a learning process my friend, and sadly all you can say are assumptions, i have tried redsnow so many times, a few of them times yes i did do the unplug thing but a lot of the times it wudnt even do the process up to that point, and the rest of the times redsnow said it has finnished, but the screen still displayed connect to itunes. i believe the programs and components and instructions i've tried all over google didnt work because of missing components and etc.. then this nice guy here directed me to iclarified which provided not only the programs that actually DO work, but instructions on what and what not to do, including the firefox thing to use to download ur ispw? lots of tutorials i tried never mentioned firefox or even half of the stuff iclarified has, thanx again man you really did help me.. and to me, i believe my phone is bricked untill it is fixed, especially since i didnt have the right/correct resources in the first place. like i said its all in learning. and altho i was able to put my phone in DFU, i couldnt do anythign with it on itunes other than put my firmware on it, but it never fixed the problem as i dont have an original sim to finnish the process like it wanted, which is why redsnow came in, cuz itunes wanted to setup the simcard account. but the redsnow programs i downloaded before were missing components and causing errors anyway. it also helped with the firefox deal.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

see this is what i hate, people who actually know what they are doing raggin on the ones who dont.

2 suggestions:

If you come here and post, you have to accept the replies, if that upsets you, don't post here. Newbies are constantly saying their phone is bricked and it just gets kinda old. It is just a way over used saying from inexperienced persons.

Since you are having so much trouble, I assume you did not do enough reading and research prior to attempting this. You even stated so in your post above. Yes we were all new once and there is a learning curve, but I never attempted my first JB without reading so much that I knew all the steps, fixes and options which you clearly did not. As a simple example, your use of the statement that your phone is bricked. Had you done sufficient reading, you would know it is nearly impossible, outside of a sudden hardware failure, to brick one of these.

That said, good luck.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003

see this is what i hate, people who actually know what they are doing raggin on the ones who dont. its a learning process my friend, and sadly all you can say are assumptions, i have tried redsnow so many times, a few of them times yes i did do the unplug thing but a lot of the times it wudnt even do the process up to that point, and the rest of the times redsnow said it has finnished, but the screen still displayed connect to itunes. i believe the programs and components and instructions i've tried all over google didnt work because of missing components and etc.. then this nice guy here directed me to iclarified which provided not only the programs that actually DO work, but instructions on what and what not to do, including the firefox thing to use to download ur ispw? lots of tutorials i tried never mentioned firefox or even half of the stuff iclarified has, thanx again man you really did help me.. and to me, i believe my phone is bricked untill it is fixed, especially since i didnt have the right/correct resources in the first place. like i said its all in learning. and altho i was able to put my phone in DFU, i couldnt do anythign with it on itunes other than put my firmware on it, but it never fixed the problem as i dont have an original sim to finnish the process like it wanted, which is why redsnow came in, cuz itunes wanted to setup the simcard account. but the redsnow programs i downloaded before were missing components and causing errors anyway. it also helped with the firefox deal.

I am with you on this. I am tired of peoples coming here to complain about questions being asked. When thats what this forum is for!! Some of the newer users don't understand why these forums are here.(not you I mean the guy complaining) I have noticed alot of those type of people lately. I liked it before they were around.

I apologize for them and hope it hasn't left a sour taste in your mouth with macrumors.com :eek:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I am with you on this. I am tired of peoples coming here to complain about questions being asked. When thats what this forum is for!! Some of the newer users don't understand why these forums are here.(not you I mean the guy complaining) I have noticed alot of those type of people lately. I liked it before they were around.

I apologize for them and hope it hasn't left a sour taste in your mouth with macrumors.com :eek:

I have a completely different take on the response.

All the reply did was tell him his phone was not bricked and he should not be posting that it was. The poster went on to tell him about the unplug/replug issue with redsnow which the OP might have known if he researched prior to attempting a jailbreak.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I have a completely different take on the response.

All the reply did was tell him his phone was not bricked and he should not be posting that it was. The poster went on to tell him about the unplug/replug issue with redsnow which the OP might have known if he researched prior to attempting a jailbreak.

Yes it could have been found by searching. I must say not everyone is excellent at searching, its an acquired skill. Not only that the poster that said to unplug and plug it back in didn't completely fix the issue. Following the iclarified fixed it.

Most of my knowledge related to this stuff I have picked up by reading on these forums. Everyone needs to start somewhere, he just did. If you don't want to answer questions like this then don't and let myself or others answer them.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009

see this is what i hate, people who actually know what they are doing raggin on the ones who dont. its a learning process my friend, and sadly all you can say are assumptions

You stated in your original post that you can take criticism.

He's not even criticizing you. He was just saying not to say that your phone is bricked because it really isn't.

throwbookatface

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Yes it could have been found by searching. I must say not everyone is excellent at searching, its an acquired skill. Not only that the poster that said to unplug and plug it back in didn't completely fix the issue. Following the iclarified fixed it.

Most of my knowledge related to this stuff I have picked up by reading on these forums. Everyone needs to start somewhere, he just did. If you don't want to answer questions like this then don't and let myself or others answer them.

Agreed. Of course, the phone wasn't bricked, but it's not like he came into the forum and demanded help with no details - OP definitely wasn't a lazy loser. He clearly stated that he looked at several good sources and couldn't figure it out. What else are forums for besides a? sking questions like this? Sure he hasn't taken an SDK class, learned tons of code, or read the hax0rs dictionary but he tried. It's no requirement to research to the ends of the earth before coming to iPhone forums, otherwise we'd get no posts. No reason to piss all over him. He even found an answer right away, it fixed his problem, and he said thanks!

Guy could have said "btw your phone technically isn't 'bricked' because it's recoverable," but it instead came as a blanket rant against n00bs and expectations of research before being allowed to type a word in here. Considering there are much more pointless threads out there like "wuts ur fave wallpaper" and "best fart app" I don't see huge why there's an urge to nitpick the hell out of posts like the OP's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.