iPhone 2G Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ncfcstar, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ncfcstar macrumors member

Hi,

I just bought an iPhone 2G which someone has unlocked etc etc, but I am on O2 in the UK (contract sim).

If I connect it to my Macbook, and restore the phone and update it to 2.2 can I just put my own sim in without unlocking? Or is this impossible? I'd just quite like to restore the phone when I get it really.

Hope you can help!

Thanks.

2. JONTY.UK/FR macrumors newbie

JONTY.UK/FR

It depends on where the phone originated...EG

my personal iphone is from the states, I wanted it before it came out in europe. I have the French Orange iphone contract but must unlock the phone from AT&T Usa, to use it in France.

Is your current contract the O2 for iphone contract? If not I dont think you'll have the edge functionality enabled, some one may be able to confirm this?

Why not keep it unlocked? Its easy to do and easy to keep upto date...

3. ncfcstar thread starter macrumors member

I don't mind keeping it unlocked, but I would like to restore it. I don't really understand what to do after I've done that.

4. JONTY.UK/FR macrumors newbie

JONTY.UK/FR

5. ncfcstar thread starter macrumors member

So I assume I can restore the phone before doing this? Or is it like the iPod, and therefore can I connect it to my Macbook before I do anything, or will it not allow me to do that as it wasn't originally linked to my account?

6. JONTY.UK/FR macrumors newbie

JONTY.UK/FR

You can connect to your mac, you will receive the message "this iphone is synced with a differant account................syncing will erase all content from the iphone and replace with your stuff blah blah blah"

Although I would assume that the guy selling you the phone has deleted all content, restored and unlocked the phone to sell it?

If this is the case youre good to go...Stick your sim in, sync it your computer, off you go???

You should wait untill you get the phone and see whats going with it, then ask the questions...I think youre speculating at this point:confused: