iPhone 2g reunited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slipper, Aug 6, 2010.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

So i was planning to visit a friend of mine for a while now. Just so happened a couple nights ago the scum of the earth held her at knife point and took all her belongings including her id's, phone, money... everything. Shes ok with a few bumps and bruises. I thought i'd be nice and buy her an upgraded phone from what she had before so i set out to buy a used iPhone. Found an excellent condition iPhone 2G, paid probably a little more than market value but i think it was worth it because of the condition. Its had a screen protector and case since day one.

Playing with the thing made me think... compared to my current iPhone 4, its a little laggy, actions (such as swiping) are a bit jerky, and the screen is nothing like the most current... but this was a ********* good phone for its day.

Kinda makes me miss my old iPhone 2g. Well hopefully she likes her new used phone.

Sorry for the useless thread LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. alFR macrumors 68020

Kind of you to do that for your friend. It's interesting to see the two side-by-side: personally, I think the 4 takes a lot of design cues from the 2g, maybe more than from the 3G/3GS: or maybe it's a bit of both.

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I know, it's great how Apple brought back the recessed headphone jack (w/ bumper) and the slipper then a fish design.

4. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

How much did you pay?

I never got an original, though I lusted it over it since it was announced. I hopped in during the 3G era. I've always wanted one (paperweight, sexiness) but I don't feel like paying a bunch of money for something I'm not even going to use. I could always use it as an iPod touch I suppose.

5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Hey guys... I have a question. The iPhone 2G is currently unlocked to 3.1.2. If i restore (to erase all old information on the iPhone) my iTunes says it will automatically update to 3.1.3. Will this lock the iPhone again?

6. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Just restore it and unplug it before it activates in itunes.

7. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Sorry i edited my post above probably when you were typing your response. My main concern is that it does not lock up again when it restores to 3.1.3.

8. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Yep. You'll have to jailbreak and unlock the phone again when you restore it. Just use spirit jailbreak (spiritjb.com) and install ultrasn0w. Really simple.

9. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

10. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

OK so i updated to 3.1.3. Now i am stuck. The iPhone has no SIM installed and it says install a valid SIM with no PIN lock. What do i do now?

Using SpiritJB i get error code c6.

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Pwnage Tool works for the iPhone 2G.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Wow, the condition of that 2G is excellent considering it is 2-3 years old.

13. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Oops sorry, but now I know :)

Thanks for correcting me.

14. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Im beginning to think maybe i shouldn't have restored...

I have Pwnage Tool on my computer probably from a previous JB/UL. On simple mode it says no firmware bundle found. I downloaded "3.1.3 (2G): iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw" from iClarified.com but Pwnage Tool says wrong firmware bundle selected.

:confused:

*edit* I'll try RedSn0w.

*edit 2* Just tried RedSn0w and it says "unable to recognize specified ISPW"

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

No, it will not lock up. It will stay unlocked. I still have my 2G and it stays unlocked and is the only one that does this.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Should of used Redsn0w 9.4. Your getting bad advice from SDub90 who probably doesnt have a 2G. Redsn0W 9.4 (this is just the most current) does it all but you wont need to unlock it again.

You dont NEED to go to 3.1.3. It will work with 3.1.2 if you use redsn0w and when you use it , point it to 3.1.2. Use this to download it.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

Even if you have 3.1.3 on the phone, download 3.1.2 and it will work when it asks you to put in your ispw file. 3.1.3 is a useless update.

17. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

OK i'll try that tonight when i get home. I appreciate the help, advice, and comments from everyone. Thanks for helping this computer illiterate in this good cause for my friend.

18. james92se macrumors 6502a

That original iPhone is in great shape!

I still have an original iPhone (in addition to my iPhone 4), but I just can't bring myself to sell it.

I still use/play with my original iPhone occasionally and looking at that screen compared to the iPhone 4 makes me feel like I have cataracts or something :laugh:

But I still love it and use it as an iPod. It's a 4GB version and I've got all but a few hundred MB filled up on the phone with music and that sucker is slow being nearly filled to capacity. But it's still cool and I'll probably keep it indefinitely :cool:

What's the market value on an original iPhone anyway? 70 bucks or so?

19. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I wish I could put the iPhone 4's innards in the original iPhone.

20. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Yep, sorry. I forgot that the phone has to be activated to work with spirit.

21. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I returned my iPhone 4 (had many of the problems) and reverted back to the 2g because I had already sold my 3gs.

Yeah, it's slow, but you know, I really like the fact that I can trust it will make calls, it will not drop my calls, there's no more beta-testing and finding new problems with the camera or the speaker.

I'll jump back in as soon as they fix the problems, because the 4 has such a great picture.

22. cfernandes macrumors regular

cfernandes

I still think there has yet to be an iPhone with the feel as good as the 2G

23. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

True dat... that proximity sensor has been pissing the hell out of me!!! Maybe i'll just give her my iPhone 4... or not.

Anyway, i got her jailbroken and unlocked (hopefully, ill test tomorrow with a T-Mobile SIM).

When i give the iPhone to her, will it sync to her computer? Sync Music? She has a Windows PC with iTunes.

24. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

On my 2G phone, I used Redsn0w and the thing with it is - you upgrade to 3.1.3 via a restore in iTunes and then when you use redsn0w to do the jailbreak/unlock it will prompt you for the IPSW file. If you give it 3.1.3 - it gives an error. Simply point it to the older 3.1.2 file and it will go through as normal. When the whole process is over, you can go into the settings and see that the phone is actually 3.1.3. Its just the redsn0w guys didnt update it to see the 3.1.3 firmware so you need to point it to the older one, however it will be 3.1.3 on the phone as long as you restored it to that via iTunes.

To answer your question - yes it will sync to her PC and iTunes will sync music etc - everything will be fine.

25. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

That's exactly what i did, OMG. Thanks everyone for the help and comments. MacRumors rocks!

Another question: If i purchase some apps for her, will she still be able to sync with her iTunes and still keep the apps? According to the app store (on the iPhone) it is linked to my account which i don't mind, she wont be purchasing any apps anyway. The iPhone has not yet been linked to the iTunes on my Macbook or any computer.