iphone 2g sim card question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dragonmantek, Jul 13, 2009.

1. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

my father just got the new 3gs, after his contract for the iphone 2g was done, and he gave his old iphone 2g to me. when we got it, att gave me a new sim card for me to use with the iphone.

i put in my old sim card, which was from cingular, into the iphone 2g.

my trouble is, sometimes it's slow and has bad reception.

could that be linked to an old sim card? should i put the new one in?

and if so, how would i do that?

thanks.

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You would just call AT&T and have them activate your account on the new SIM. Or I think you can go through the iTunes activation with the new SIM as well (I am not positive on that one).

3. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

yeah, but is my edge network and/or reception slower and/or worse because of the sim card being older and possibly outdated?

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Short answer is maybe but unlikely.

There is nothing special about your current SIM but it does get minor updates over time concerning the network. So you can call Customer Care and ask them to push an Over the Air (OTA) update to your SIM to confirm that it is up to date.

You can also stop by an AT&T store and the RSC can also update your SIM with the latest network configuration information.

If you really want to switch to the new SIM to confirm, you can just put the new SIM into your phone and connect to iTunes. It will need to go through the pairing process since the original iPhone has to be paired with the SIM.

Dave

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

If you meant how do you change the SIM card, here's how:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1438