Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steviem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
OK, I'm getting a little bored of the speaker/mic grills on my 2G clogging up with a mix of what I guess is pocket lint and causing my ringtone, and then having to hook it out with a safety pin.

Do other people have any alternatives to this?

Thanks,

Steve

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
I used a safety pin to poke holes through the grills on mine to make the speakers louder (and to clean). I went from having the phone at full volume bars/boxes to be audible to 4-6 volume bars/boxes.

If you don't want to make your phone louder, be careful when doing this.

Donoghan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I don't recommend doing that. I read thread after thread about poking holes to make the volume louder and decided to try it. Well needless to say I went too far with the pin in my old 1st gen iPhone and now the speaker is very distorted. From
my experience it's better to leave well enough alone.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I don't recommend doing that. I read thread after thread about poking holes to make the volume louder and decided to try it. Well needless to say I went too far with the pin in my old 1st gen iPhone and now the speaker is very distorted. From
my experience it's better to leave well enough alone.

Distorted how? You might just need to do it more uniformly, because you can't touch the speaker with a safety pin.

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
My 2G sounds just as loud as my 3G. I asked the guy at the genius bar to dust out my 2G. They basically cleaned it out of all the dust and used air to blow the dust from the speakers and earpiece out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.