iPhone 2G speaker grills

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steviem, Jul 2, 2009.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

OK, I'm getting a little bored of the speaker/mic grills on my 2G clogging up with a mix of what I guess is pocket lint and causing my ringtone, and then having to hook it out with a safety pin.

Do other people have any alternatives to this?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Surrix macrumors regular

I used a safety pin to poke holes through the grills on mine to make the speakers louder (and to clean). I went from having the phone at full volume bars/boxes to be audible to 4-6 volume bars/boxes.

If you don't want to make your phone louder, be careful when doing this.

3. Donoghan macrumors regular

Donoghan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I don't recommend doing that. I read thread after thread about poking holes to make the volume louder and decided to try it. Well needless to say I went too far with the pin in my old 1st gen iPhone and now the speaker is very distorted. From
    my experience it's better to leave well enough alone.

4. Surrix macrumors regular

Distorted how? You might just need to do it more uniformly, because you can't touch the speaker with a safety pin.

5. lavinci macrumors 6502

My 2G sounds just as loud as my 3G. I asked the guy at the genius bar to dust out my 2G. They basically cleaned it out of all the dust and used air to blow the dust from the speakers and earpiece out.