iPhone 2G survived a trip through a washing machine (almost) unscathed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drewc1138, Aug 9, 2010.

1. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Color me impressed. My son has been using my first gen iPhone as a glorified iPod Touch ever since I got my 3GS at launch. A couple of nights ago, I was pulling the clothes out of the washing machine when I found it laying in the bottom of the machine. I quickly put it in a bag of rice and left it. Tonight, I plug it in and find this:

[​IMG]

I powered it on and it went straight to the lock screen. I was amazed. Don't know if it was the rice trick or not, but something worked.

The only down side is that the screen doesn't recognize my touch anymore. I've put it back in the rice hoping that there may be a bit more liquid in there to dry out. I don't know if you can see in the pic, but there is definitely some water damage under the screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get the touch screen working again? Would a restore help?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm thinking the digitizer is dead. I think to replace that on the 2G iPhone it's best to just replace the whole front glass as the two are stuck together with glue. The remaining moisture under the screen will disappear over time. I don't think a restore will help, but it can't hurt to try.

3. icameron981 macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G LIVED!

I took the advice posted in a forum and put my iPhone in a Ziplock bag of dry white rice for 3-days. This is after the iPhone went through a full washing machine cycle with TIDE. :) The phone is charged, working and just has a distorted screen, but is still legible. Will repost as a couple days go by, as I've also read it might work for a while, then slowly die. So far so good, though! I'm happy and relieved. I still love everything Apple makes. User error has me on my 3rd iPhone and I wish I would've tried this with the 2nd death. (First death was a crushed screen, which was totally my fault and couldn't be repaired).

Anyway, if you wash or get your iPhone submerged in water, try the rice trick and be patient. I've heard waiting longer before charging is even better.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why did you have to got and revive a two month old thread?

5. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Probably didn't realize it was a federal offense and he'd be persecuted for it.