iPhone 2G Unactivated

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megamanbnmaster, Jun 20, 2009.

1. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, I bought an iPhone 2G unactivated from a friend for a really cheap price ($150). He actually got this refurbished phone a week before 3G came out and never bothered activating the phone. Now he needs money to buy an iPhone 3GS.

Right now, I have no contract with AT&T, but I do have a plan (and a hactivated iPhone) with AT&T. I was originally planning to buy the iPhone 3GS in a few weeks. However, this new phone has sort of changed my ideas.

I'm curious of that if I activate this iPhone, I have to have a 2 year contract. Does anybody know if I can upgrade to an iPhone 3GS and get an auto break the contract w/ no penalty (like last year). That would mean I could get this iPhone legitimately activated. Then, I would see if 3G is worth the extra 15 a month, especially since we don't have 3G in my area.
    If it's not, I'd just go back to my edge phone, and then sell the iPhone 3GS.

So does anybody know if I could still upgrade to 3GS if i start a new contract today w/ the iPhone 2G?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, does anybody know what happens if I activate a 3GS and then use the same sim card to activate a normal iPhone 2G?

2. Titan12 macrumors regular

If you already own the hardware, you don't have to start a contract. Contracts are started in part due to the carrier subsidizing the hardware. At least thats how an AT&T rep explained it to me. (of course I was already an AT&T customer at the time)

For example, I added a line a little while back, and told them I didn't need a phone, as I had a Razr I was going to use. They opened the line under the "no commitment" category, and I used it on my current family plan. At the most, I see them just charging you the iphone data plan on top of your current plan IF you are currently on a family plan. I actually called and cancelled my spare line the other day before I upgraded to the 3GS. If you aren't on a family plan then it may be a whole different animal.

3. megamanbnmaster thread starter macrumors 6502

However, unactivated iPhone Edge requires a contract no matter what. Last year during the 3G launch, the iPhone edge users were able to get out of their contract and directly make a new one with AT&T. I'm just curious about if this is a doable upgrade if I start the iPhone contract now.