iPhone 2G unlimited data loophole...is it still working?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kev001, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Kev001 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just wanna know if anyone has tried the iPhone 2g trick to get unlimited data lately...I just want an honest yes or no answer and the date you got it to work. Please DO NOT discuss how it can be done as some users might consider this as "fraud". If any Mods feel that this is against forum rules, please delete immediately. Thanks

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Last week, I went from the 3G data plan back down to the unlimited + 200SMS messages on one of my accounts. No problems, the loophole still works.

3. krnboy503 macrumors regular

you could have easily searched the forum for an easy answer...instead of making a new thread..

but yes it still works.

4. ilovebane macrumors newbie

Hey, I know this isn't what you asked, but i was wondering if we got the iphone 2 to do the trick, how are we supposed to get the new iphone? If we are new to at&t do we pay for it wothout the contract? How can we get them to not activate the new phone but still pay the 199 price?

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You'll most likely need to buy the phone outright. Usually when you buy a phone subsidized they activate it in store.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You can activate the original iPhone on a new contract which will then allow this contract to instantly be upgrade eligible now. This will make the new iPhone price $199/$299 if the prices remain the same this year.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

This works too! :D

I wish we had unlimited data in Canada. :(

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes it works, plus you get unlimited data which is then grandfathered into the upgraded plan.

9. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I have been researching and just wondering if anyone has actually tried it recently. I might go pick up a 2G from craigslist and try this.

I have an iphone 4, purchased on a new line just about a month ago, with 2GB plan. Looking to get unlimited.

Just wanted a confirmation that itll work before i buy an old 2G iphone. Thanks!

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It still works. Last week I switched from unlimited to 200MB with no SMS on one of my lines. Kept that for a few days and went back to unlimited yesterday.

11. ilovebane macrumors newbie

Ok so I just got my iphone 2 and now I am waiting to go get a sim card for it. I thought I was supposed to make up some story to get a completly blank sim card and take it home and activate it through itunes, but my friend is trying to tell me that I go to at&t and get the sim card and they will give me a new number put things on the sim card ( I don't know what type of things) then I go home to activate it through itunes. Which is correct, and if I am correct, how do I go about getting a phone number if I don't even have an at&t account at the moment?

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

All you need to do is tell them that you are going to activate an original iPhone. Thats all I used to do and once, even got two sims.

Now I just but sims on eBay so I always have some.

13. ilovebane macrumors newbie

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You already have an active iPhone contract don't you? If so that is the phone number you use when iTunes asks you for one.

If you don't have one yet, activating an original iPhone in iTunes will set one up for you.

15. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

He said, I wish we had unlimited data plans in Canada. In Canada, we don't really have good data plans... The best plans we ever get in my opinion, are the $30 6GB data plan promos the carriers have every so often (when a new iPhone comes out)...

It's impossible to be grandfathered in to something that is not offered in Canada, eh...

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I know this but since the thread is about getting unlimited data back on AT&T, I was staying on topic.

17. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Fair enough, but in that case, you should not have quoted the "I wish we had unlimited data in Canada".

18. Kev001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The loophole should be working...I got unlimited data last month with this trick. I originally had the iPhone 4 with the 2GB data packaged but this is what I did:

1.) bought an iPhone 2G
    2.) called AT&T and told them I'm going back to a regular flip phone and I gave them the imei for the flip phone.
    3.) signed on my AT&T account to see if the system has detected te new phone.
    4.) went to an AT&T store to get a regular sim (free).
    5.) put sim into the iPhone 2G and restore as new in iTunes-> follow the activation steps..
    6.) you should have the unlimited data package with the 200 text.
    7.) remove the sim and cut it to fit the iPhone 4 (not necessary if your using a smartphone with a regular sim card)
    8.) signed onto my AT&T account and wait till you see the option for unlimited 3G (although the current data plan will still work any 3G phone)
    9.) if you see the option for unlimited 3G, call in and tell them you want to update your data plan to the $30 unlimited data. If they say it's not available...tell them you see the option on you AT&T account. They might put you on hold while they talk to a "supervisor" but you should be able to get it. just be patient

I did all of this in 1 day and now I'm on the unlimited plan and loving it.

19. lilchub101 macrumors member

about to try this tomorrow few quick questions

I plan to try this tomorrow but have a few questions
    1 If I do this to my dads iPhone will it effect any of the other phones we have on our family plan? we have an unlimited texts plan and I know this old iphone plan came with 200 texts so I was wondering that

2 Do I need a new sim card or can i use the old one from my old 3gs?

Thanks in advance

20. agentmikeyd macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.697; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Should # 9 be: if you DONT see the option for unlimited 3G, call in and tell them you want to ...

thanks

21. ilovebane, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

ilovebane macrumors newbie

How do you go about this if you do not have an at&t account? When you open up itunes with the phone, does at&t charge you an activation fee for the iphone 2g? Then once I go to at&t to "upgrade" to the iphone 4 can I change my plan to have unlimited text as well or will it always be 200 text and unlimited data?

22. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Does anyone know if this is still working?

sorry to bring up the old thread.

Thanks.