Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nc3G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
So a buddy gave me his old 2G iPhone (nice guy :)) and I'd like to give it to my wife to replace her current flip phone. She has no interest in roaming data (would be fine w/ WiFi around the house for browser, etc.), but would want to replace her current iPod and use calendar, clock and other standard apps.

Do I have to Jailbreak and go to another carrier to do this or is there a way to just use it as a phone and disable Edge data?

I have an iPhone 3G that isn't unlocked, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance!!

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
So a buddy gave me his old 2G iPhone (nice guy :)) and I'd like to give it to my wife to replace her current flip phone. She has no interest in roaming data (would be fine w/ WiFi around the house for browser, etc.), but would want to replace her current iPod and use calendar, clock and other standard apps.

Do I have to Jailbreak and go to another carrier to do this or is there a way to just use it as a phone and disable Edge data?

Thanks in advance!!

Unlock it, why would you want a locked phone? Jailbreak, unlock, and go to this website on the iPhone: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

It will block your data but you can still access Wi-Fi.

MvpEmmitt

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008

Thanks in advance!!

First things first, Im not sure if you are saying you have At&t or not.

If you are with At&t you dont have to switch carriers. If you are not with At&t you MUST UNLOCK it to use it. It simply will not activate with another carrier unless it is from overseas.

If you are with At&t and refuse/dont want to jail break it you can call At&t and have them activate it. BUT you will be charged activation fees, be put into a renewed 2 year contract that REQUIRES a data plan. At least $20, since its the old iPhone, $30 if its not available any longer, I dont know.
There is NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER, even if you disable data or block or whatever. You are not given an option to choose a data plan or to not have one. If you tell them you have an iPhone and have them activate it that is how it must be.

You mention NOT wanting to jailbreak/unlock YOUR 3G. Im not sure your reasoning, but if you do not want to at least jailbreak the old iphone your asking about, you will have no choice but to sign a new 2 year agreement and pay the monthly data plan chages. Its up to you.

If you CALL them they will tell you you MUST HAVE a data plan & new 2 year contract and add $20 a month for it. (2g is $10 less a month than 3G) That is, if it is still available. IDK

Now if you can bring yourself to jailbreak it you can simply insert your wifes sim card into it and it will work. I have been using a 2G iPhone on At&t for over a year that way. I use Wi-Fi at home or where its available, and if not Oh Well... I dont need it! lol You will need to call them and tell them to disable all internet/data usage on the line so you dont have any usage and incur any extra charges however.

Of course you will hear about how its "wrong" or "immoral" or whatever. I personally dont agree that I should have to pay for the "privilege" of using an iPhone as long as Im not using any data! IF your using a non iPhone data plan with it, then it may be a gray area, but thats a whole nother' discussion!

You might also hear about them (At&T) looking for iphones or whateveron their system/network, but I can only tell you I have never gotten any warnings about not having a data plan or anything to that effect. I have been using it that way for over 14 months. I believe it is because I do not use any data therefore they dont see any usage, so there isnt a chance that im on a "incompatible" (read less money/profit for them) data plan. They can tell I have a iPhone from my IME number, but im guessing the way they look for offenders is by their data usage.

Ultimately it is your decision.

Hope that helps!

khkman22

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
I unlocked my 2G and am using it (was already on AT&T) without having to extend my contract and have turned off the EDGE data through BossPrefs (download through Cydia). Very simple to do. Got charged a little at the beginning for data usage because I wasn't thinking, but quickly found the way to disable the data myself (option on BossPrefs home screen along with wi-fi, SSH, and Bluetooth).

seand1111

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
If you are with At&t and refuse/dont want to jail break it you can call At&t and have them activate it. BUT you will be charged activation fees, be put into a renewed 2 year contract that REQUIRES a data plan. At least $20, since its the old iPhone, $30 if its not available any longer, I dont know.
There is NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER, even if you disable data or block or whatever. You are not given an option to choose a data plan or to not have one. If you tell them you have an iPhone and have them activate it that is how it must be.

Sorry, but you are wrong in regards to the 2g.....

If you have ATT, then go to an ATT store and get a new SIM card. Go home and Download the latest version of iTunes, then plug in the phone. Select the "transfer existing number" option (no activation fee....).

Once its done, call ATT and tell them you do not want the Data Plan and to add a WIXBLOCK to the line. This will prevent data.

OH, no new contract either....dont know where the above poster got that from...

On the 2G, you DO have the option to drop the data plan, on the 3G, you have to have it, but you can still get around it....

Noah44

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Call AT&T??

I unlocked my 2G and am using it (was already on AT&T) without having to extend my contract and have turned off the EDGE data through BossPrefs (download through Cydia). Very simple to do. Got charged a little at the beginning for data usage because I wasn't thinking, but quickly found the way to disable the data myself (option on BossPrefs home screen along with wi-fi, SSH, and Bluetooth).

Did you call AT&T and ask them to block data or you just disabled it on your end with BossPrefs?
THanks!

khkman22

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Just disabled through BossPrefs. If you disable, turn off your wi-fi as well (if there is a connection available) and then try to access weather or some application that will not transfer too much data if you are still connected. If BossPrefs actually turned it off, it should give you network error telling you it failed to connect. You may need to reboot after disabling it first, I can't remember.

Longhorns.win

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
Sorry, but you are wrong in regards to the 2g.....

If you have ATT, then go to an ATT store and get a new SIM card. Go home and Download the latest version of iTunes, then plug in the phone. Select the "transfer existing number" option (no activation fee....).

Once its done, call ATT and tell them you do not want the Data Plan and to add a WIXBLOCK to the line. This will prevent data.

On the 2G, you DO have the option to drop the data plan, on the 3G, you have to have it, but you can still get around it....
I got a 2G that was fortunately already activated. I took another phone in and had them add a line to my account and put data block on that line. Popped the sim in the 2G phone and it works fine. Logged into my account and it shows the new phone as an Iphone and it took less than a min to detect the change. I guess I will see if they ever say anything. If I have to call them for to make changes to my account I will put the sim back in the other phone so it does not show as iphone to customer service.

I called AT&T before I went this route and they insisted that I had to have a data plan even with a 2G iphone. I guess I think that requirement is bull since I did not get a subsidized iphone from them and am not using data. I know there is not visual voice mail and stuff unless you are on a wifi connection but who cares. If was using data that would be different and I would not have a problem with it.

Just in case they do catch on and want me to have the data plan is there a way to jailbreak the phone and have it transmit a false EIM so it will register as something other than an iphone?

seand1111

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
SL, Texas
I got a 2G that was fortunately already activated. I took another phone in and had them add a line to my account and put data block on that line. Popped the sim in the 2G phone and it works fine. Logged into my account and it shows the new phone as an Iphone and it took less than a min to detect the change. I guess I will see if they ever say anything. If I have to call them for to make changes to my account I will put the sim back in the other phone so it does not show as iphone to customer service.

I called AT&T before I went this route and they insisted that I had to have a data plan even with a 2G iphone. I guess I think that requirement is bull since I did not get a subsidized iphone from them and am not using data. I know there is not visual voice mail and stuff unless you are on a wifi connection but who cares. If was using data that would be different and I would not have a problem with it.

Just in case they do catch on and want me to have the data plan is there a way to jailbreak the phone and have it transmit a false EIM so it will register as something other than an iphone?

When I posted that you were able to drop the data plan from the 2G phones... I do believe ATT has changed that now and you are forced to get a data plan with any iPhone.

In regards to your question... I have no idea since I have never JB'd or unlocked a phone.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Didnt want to make a new thread for this, I just got a 2G iPhone, and since I see no option to stop data, I am assuming AT&T made it so that all iPhones must have a data plan. So with that said is there a way around this or am I going to have to suck it up and fork over the $20/month?

joebobthehob

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
The only way you have a smartphone without a data plan on AT&T today is if you were grandfathered in with a special exception feature on the account preventing system sweeps from automatically provisioning a data plan.

I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* that all iPhones are now required to carry the data plan. If it's possible to do the block, you'll have to call in, get retentions (customer relations) and tell them you're going to cancel unless you can have the data blocked. They're the only department able to provision that exception feature.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
The only way you have a smartphone without a data plan on AT&T today is if you were grandfathered in with a special exception feature on the account preventing system sweeps from automatically provisioning a data plan.

I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* that all iPhones are now required to carry the data plan. If it's possible to do the block, you'll have to call in, get retentions (customer relations) and tell them you're going to cancel unless you can have the data blocked. They're the only department able to provision that exception feature.

You're correct about AT&T's policy: All postpaid customers with any kind of smartphone are officially required to subscribe to an eligible data plan. If I recall correctly, until midway through last year, the relevant clause in the T&C's used to specifically single out the iPhone as the only device subject to this requirement. But it has since been expanded to include all smartphones, no matter what brand.

All current AT&T postpaid customers, no matter whether their equipment is under subsidy or owned outright, no matter whether they are under fixed-term contracts or rolling month-to-month service, and no matter when they signed up with AT&T, are subject to the current revision of the T&C's -- they implicitly agreed to them by choosing not to close their account when they received notification of the revision.

This is an official AT&T policy, clearly spelled out on publicly available documents. Thus, it is not a rumour or fear mongering. That being said, based on experiences related by posters in this and similar threads, it appears that AT&T frequently doesn't bother enforcing the rule.

seand1111 said:
Based on what I've read, this has nothing to do with any official AT&T policy, but rather is a symptom of certain dishonest customer service representatives who get an extra commission for every customer they squeeze into a fixed-term contract. Apparently, the representatives get an even larger commission when the customer doesn't receive a subsidy or promotional price plan, yet enters a fixed term contract anyway. So the representatives outright lie to the customer about the contract requirements in an attempt to line their own pockets.

Burntrees

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Hmm help?

I have an unlocked 2g currently using pick your plan with AT&T. They're being complete dicks with the whole prepaid iPhone situation right now and have blocked data service for iPhones now. Who has a Prepaid data plan I can use with this unlocked 2g? I want Internet everywhere dammit! Lol thanks for the help in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.