Iphone 2g with broken screen, need help identifying part

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chlaird, Mar 19, 2010.

1. chlaird macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so my iphone 2g cracked. I tried replacing the glass, but it just cracked a second layer of glass underneath it. I guess that was the touch screen glass? Anyway, they both ended up falling out. Now it just has this final "screen" like thing, which is just a white light. What is this? What parts would I need to repair the iphone, given what I have now?

I can post more pictures if needed

[​IMG]

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

that would be your LCD. usually on a 2g the lcd comes attached to the outer glass and the digitizer.

3. chlaird thread starter macrumors newbie

but why is the lcd white? im confused abiut what i actally ripped off. can i fix it?

4. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

You need to replace the digitizer and LCD as one unit - it's the only viable way.

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

when you dropped your phone it damaged the lcd also. this is a very major repair and most cases cannot be completed by someone other than a iPhone technician/repair shop. in fact most reparir shops do not work on the iPhone 2g because it is so hard! :(

6. metalhead777 macrumors regular

Agreed, I think you should just buy a whole new iPhone altogether. You'd save more money and not to mention, a better iPhone. :D :apple:

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

in fact you are looking at close to $100 in parts and shipping from an actual parts distributer. a reseller will charge you a profit also. if you can do an upgrade you can buy a 3g for $99 from att.