Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
my dad had a old AT&T Motorola Razar phone which broken. i dont have another phone he can use other then a old iphone 2g (he dont make too many calls an dits just a phone for him so we know he has it)

is it possible to not get any data plan ? he wont use any data.. he is on my family share plan.. would at&T automatically add data as soon as they know its an iphone ?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
is it possible to not get any data plan ? he wont use any data.. he is on my family share plan.. would at&T automatically add data as soon as they know its an iphone ?

All data phones require a data plan, theirs no way around this. AT&T will not add it automatically (at first), you will first get a text message or email letting you know that they are aware of the fact that you're using a data phone without a data plan and to please contact them at your earliest convenient to add one.

Failing to do so after a repeated attempt to get you to add a data plan, then they will do it automatically.

The cheapest available data plan is $15 for 200MB, then $25 for 2GB.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
All data phones require a data plan, theirs no way around this. AT&T will not add it automatically (at first), you will first get a text message or email letting you know that they are aware of the fact that you're using a data phone without a data plan and to please contact them at your earliest convenient to add one.

Failing to do so after a repeated attempt to get you to add a data plan, then they will do it automatically.

Att will not add it for original iPhone just fyi so OP can get it without a data plan.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
can't you still get the unlimited 2g with the original iphone? worked for me back in may...

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Has this always been the case, I never knew the first iPhone was exempt from that policy.

Not too sure since I started caring for iPhones a little more than a year ago. I know from before Att sent you text saying you need to call to get a data plan for iPhone but you could just ignore it. Only recently (before iPhone 4 release) did they start automatically adding data plans iirc.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
thanks for all the replys .... so if i just pop in the sim from motorola dumb phone to 2g AT&T it should work ...and will keep working without data plan?

Los

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
I had the same situation with my mother a while back. She wanted a new phone, but all I had was the iPhone 2G, and we popped her SIM in there and she was never charged with data or a data plan for the entire time that she used it.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I had the same situation with my mother a while back. She wanted a new phone, but all I had was the iPhone 2G, and we popped her SIM in there and she was never charged with data or a data plan for the entire time that she used it.

great! ... i see there is not option in iphone 2g to disable data... i was serch online and found iphonenodata.com turn off your data (from accidental use) have any one tried that to make sure no data it used?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
great! ... i see there is not option in iphone 2g to disable data... i was serch online and found iphonenodata.com turn off your data (from accidental use) have any one tried that to make sure no data it used?

You can also install a fake apn by using safari on the iphone and going to unlockit.co.nz
So no carrier data can be used accidentally.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I'm using an iPhone 2G with no data plan. If I try to access something that requires a data connection, I simply get an error message that I'm not subscribed to a data service. There are no charges associated with this, and I can't accidentally start using data and run up a bill. AT&T has not hassled me about getting a data plan, nor have they tried to automatically add data to my phone bill. I don't remember, but a few years ago I may have called them to request that data be disabled (back when internet on phones was new).

Just a note, I bought my iPhone 2G used and jailbroke/unlocked it (even though I am an AT&T customer with an AT&T SIM card). At the time my SIM card was a legacy AT&T card (from before they became Cingular, and then became AT&T again). I now have a current AT&T SIM card; theoretically unlocking wouldn't be required.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
My father has a blackberry without a data plan. The rule was enforced to customers back in 2009 (?) that all new contracts needed a data plan. If you had a smartphone AT THE TIME and requested to not have a data plan you did not have to have one. However, anyone purchasing a smart phone and activating it on ATT after 2009 (?) would be required to have a data plan, even if the phone was purchased elsewhere.

Having said that, my dad got his blackberry 2 years ago without a data plan and still hasnt been forced to get one.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My father has a blackberry without a data plan. The rule was enforced to customers back in 2009 (?) that all new contracts needed a data plan. If you had a smartphone AT THE TIME and requested to not have a data plan you did not have to have one. However, anyone purchasing a smart phone and activating it on ATT after 2009 (?) would be required to have a data plan, even if the phone was purchased elsewhere.

Having said that, my dad got his blackberry 2 years ago without a data plan and still hasnt been forced to get one.

I was using a Motorola Q9h running Windows Mobile 6.1 during that timeframe as well. No data plan was required, but as you stated that has changed.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
but iphone 2g is still out of the 'all smartphones need data plan' rule ?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Unless you have a 3G, you can just throw a PAYG card in and you're good.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
but iphone 2g is still out of the 'all smartphones need data plan' rule ?
I thought that only Verizon (and maybe Sprint) had this rule. They can enforce it because you would need to activate any phone through them, and they can refuse to activate it if you lack a data plan.

Does AT&T really have such a rule, and if they do, how can they enforce it? Unlock the phone, throw in a SIM card, and you're good to go. Will they really disable your account just because they detect your number (with no data plan) being used in a smartphone? It's one thing to refuse activation when a customer is either new or already has a working phone - it's another to halt their account. I'd think it poor business practices if they do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.