iPhone 2g

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Frankie., Jun 11, 2010.

1. Frankie. macrumors regular

I bought a used iPhone 2g and its really slow. Are these phones generally slow? I thought of restoring it or complaining I was sold a phone that isn't right but wanted to verify it with everyone in the forums first. Not all the time, but it will freeze for 3-5 seconds then all the sudden have everything typed that I texted out.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Depends on what you're relating the speed to.

You definitely should restore the phone first before making a judgement on the speed of the device.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

My 3G iPhone is like that, especially when trying to make a reply on forums. My 3G is running 3.1.3. I haven't tried doing this on my 2G simply because it's too slow on edge anyways.

4. Frankie. thread starter macrumors regular

I'm talking it does this even on texting. I'll probably restore soon cause I can't imagine iPhone 2g's are suppose to be this slow.

5. Frankie. thread starter macrumors regular

Could this be the cause, I updated the firmware to 3.1.3 on an old iPhone 2g?

Side note, I disabled push for facebook, trillian, etc so it doesn't take up memory.

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yes. My 2G was always slow since I bought it years ago but I just dealt with it. With the Phone + iPod running, that left me with about 15MB to swim in.

biteSMS was slow on animations, when I receive a text it takes a few seconds, lags, and eventually pops up.

Calling someone from the contact list caused it to freeze, and everytime I change songs the first 2 seconds of it skips like a deformed shattered record.

The main problem is just the 128MB RAM, you can get SBSettings to keep track and periodically free up memory. I also downloaded VMphone (or...something like that) which was suppose to free up even more. With that one, hitting FREE MEMORY on SBS would cause the phone to freeze for about 15 seconds, but freed up to 50-70MB afterwards. Some problems still persists even with that.

7. Frankie. thread starter macrumors regular

My AT&T account is eligble for an upgrade so I'll just get the 4g in two or three months.

8. firstrest macrumors member

Pretty Good Actually

I sold my 3GS last week and went back to using my 2G. Though it's noticeably slower, overall it's actually quite good.

I haven't noticed any lag when typing. The most noticeable speed differences are opening apps and download speed on cellular data, which is quite painful.

9. Iggy macrumors regular

I just updated my 3G to iOS4 and it's hit rock bottom concerning speed, crashes all the time!