iPhone 3.0 Beta 2 Firmware Question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sal74, Apr 3, 2009.

1. sal74 macrumors member

I know we'd all like to wait for the official release but my itchy fingers are telling me that 3.0 Beta 2 seems like a stable enough firmware to use for everyday use. Am I right folks or is it too buggy? I wouldn't mind using it for a while.

Just also wondering if there are any developers willing to add my udid to their developers account. I've got cold feetvfor taking the plunge to beta 2.

2. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I'm on beta 2... Actually typing this message from my phone... It isn't just a Lil buggy.. Just about every app has bugs in it.. Exspecially Maps! Is it useable.. Yes.. Am I going to downgrade back 2.2.1? No... I like all the new feautures..

I thought if you jailbreak the beta it automatically activates it for u?

3. Adamov macrumors newbie

I am using jailbroken beta 2. It works awesome. I suppose that you are right and all apps have bugs, but i didnt get a bug so far. My Maps works fine. About the jailbreak: when you start jailbreaking your phone i have to mark the Activate and everything's cool :)
    Whish you all the best :)

4. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Im on the 3.0 beta 2. I was very nervous about doing this because this is my only phone. But the phone is VERY stable. All of my apps are working fine AND I have MMS (amen!).

My GPS is working and that is very important to me.

I say go for it.

5. sal74 thread starter macrumors member

So I'm getting a mixed response. I just don't want to "f" up the phone as this is my main and only phone I have. Then downgrading/returning/swapping it would be a hassle. But if you guys are saying it's stable then maybe I'll think about it. To be very honest, I hardly use MMS but would benefit from copy/paste. I mainly use email/safari/iPod a lot and a bit of texting.

I was at the Apple store yesterday to swap my "hairline crack" (by the ringer switch) phone and asked Genius if they swap 3.0 installed iPhones? He said yes they do, provided that you have your developer's account/membership information on hand.

6. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

For what it's worth, 3.0 beta 2 is good but it's definitely not as stable as 2.2.1. I've had frequent mail, safari crashes, phone freezing up, all the sounds stop working randomly.

If you're willing to put up with that type of stuff, it's worth it. If you're not...don't bother.

7. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

You have answered your own question in each post. Clearly you have no legitimate reason for updating. Being "worried" about your one and only phone is enough of an answer for you. Those of us working on applications are not worried about anything. Bugs or no bugs.

I hate telling people "you shouldn't have this" because that's just rude and obnoxious, but its not meant for you, so why go after it?

Want my opinion? jailbreak your 2,2,1. There's more than enough extra features there to keep you fat and happy til summer.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

My iPhone is serving me quite well as both my main "real job" phone and as a development phone on 3.0 beta 2.

Bugs? Of course.

Overall stability? I'd give it a 7/10.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I use it on my primary iPhone 3G (buying one for strictly testing just isn't practical IMO). 3.0b2 has practically no problems. There are a few glitches here and there but as it says in its name, it is a beta.

Now I won't tell what to do and what not to do with your money/iPhone but from reading your posts it seems that it 3.0 beta may just not be right for you.

Overall I would rate the betas performance and stability 7/10. I would easily give it 8/10 if it wasn't such a memory hog. I had to download a memory freeing program strictly because 3.0 hogs so much RAM.

10. xenaki macrumors member

xenaki

There are some quirks but overall it is a pleasant experience for me compared to the first beta.

11. sal74 thread starter macrumors member

So what happens when 1 beta expires and another one releases, I mean do they contain some sort of expiry date? I guess if that what the case then everyone would frantically go from beta 1 to beta 2.

Still leaning on th beta 2 fence because I can withstand the odd crashes here and there.

If a developer registers my UDID number than would he forward the upcoming beta to me or would I find that myself, I've seen some torrents floating around.

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

They definitely expire. You have to keep updating to the next beta release until the final FW is available.

13. ryanr12076 macrumors newbie

Iphone 3.0 beta 2 ipod cable

I have the Pioneer Avic F900BT headunit that directly connects to the iphone, and on 2.2.1 the connection would work fine, granted i would get a message stating its not a valid accessory, but would still work fine.. However when going to 3.0 the connection fails 99% of the time. I did get it to work 1x but havent been able to make it work again, any idea's or we just gonna state that its beta, and wait till prod to come out?