iPhone 3.0 Beta OS - adding beta testers to my dev account.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by naevity, Apr 3, 2009.

1. naevity macrumors member

I've got a question about the whole iPhone Beta 3.0 Activation process. I've got a developer account, and I have a few people who want to beta test my Apps on the new 3.0 OS. I know I can add them to my account and they can install it no problem, but if I remove them, what happens to their device? Would I have to keep them added until the OS is officially released or does it just check when installing.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

If you remove their device, next time they sync it will most likely "lock" the iPhone. By lock I mean make it unusable. This can be solved by putting 2.2.1 firmware back on it... which takes some time.

The easiest thing would be to keep them on until official release date. This is assuming you don't want to go through the hassle of helping each one of them un-"lock" their iPhones.

--
    *lock is used for a lack of a better term. not talking about carrier lock.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I don't know about that. I would assume that the UDID is checked only when the beta OS is installed, not every sync. That would be a bit ridiculous to have to do.

I certainly hope its that way at least...

4. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I believe you are right.

There is only one problem, the beta will eventually expire and this will force the user to upgrade. If the UDID is removed they won't be able to activate the phone.

5. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

I was wondering, if I add friends to my list do I need a certain developer membership or can I have the personal account? And also can they sync it with there own computers and still have it work? I dont want to add them only to brick there phones.

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

You just have to have some kind of developer account.

And yes, they can certainly sync with their own computers. Just make sure you add their UDID's before they update to 3.0, or else they will have a brick.

7. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

Thanks. It was a success but there were some tense moments. :D

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Well, the syncs on beta 2 are extremely long. I'm afraid to say, this could very well be the case.
    If someone is worried about it, they can just not sync their phone while on beta 2.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

They are indeed. Very buggy as well. I don't see any indication that iTunes is connecting to a server to check my iPhone though.

10. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I would assume that you are correct.

11. pugnut macrumors 6502a

There are a significant number of instances where Apple has been disabling Dev accounts for people who are adding significant numbers of UUID's. In fact they have asked some to prove they are developers. If you are a individual developer like me, having 5-10 people testing your app is generally the norm, any more then that you are looking to be caught and potentially locked out. The other issue is some of these kids get their phone bricked and bring them to the Apple store and reveal they are not developers. If you are adding , do at your own risk. I can tell you it is best not to give your password out to anyone

Now for the enterprise development account I am working on there are the max testers, which does not raise any alarms

12. Prenvo macrumors regular

Prenvo

The OS is verified upon each sync and also when you first restore the iPhone for 3.0

Your apps running on the OS will continue to run if you delete them in the Program Portal, but the user will be left with a bricked phone (unless they know how to downgrade: it's not as simple as the upgrade) upon the next sync.

I don't think iTunes does it *every* time you plug the iPhone in, but it *does* do it every now and then as soon as you plug it in (and iTunes is running).

13. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Ah well, 3.0 is 6 to 8 weeks away, at the longest? It's not far now. :D

14. fatkatz macrumors newbie

So you want to install & use Apple's latest 3.0 software on your iPhone or iPod Touch? Unfortunately, Apple requires you to have a developer account ($99) to use the latest software. You can download the firmware files but iTunes will not recognize your device and will refuse to activate it.

Head over to iPhoneDevSlots.com! We have available slots so that you can install the 3.0 software and activate it. Setup takes a few mins!