Iphone 3.0 firmware availability on new ipod touches

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by allforpiratebay, Jun 11, 2009.

1. allforpiratebay macrumors member

I am interested in getting an ipod touch, i was going to wait for the new one but i don't see the point for my uses. However i noticed that the firmware upgrade (3.0) is available for ipod touch however it costs the upgrade.

If i delay my purchase until after the firmware has been released does this mean it will come pre-installed. therefore avoiding the cost of the upgrade.

Also is the upgrade worth it

And if it will come free will it matter who i buy it from (e.g. is the free update available on amazon.co.uk?)

Many thanks

(tried searching but to no avail)

2. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

If you call and make a big deal about it you may get it for free.

It is worth it for 2G owners.

3. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

it won't ship with the new firmware but if you complain enough you can probably get it for free. also the upgrade it only available from the iTunes Store. and yes, the update it worth it, even on the 1G iPod Touch. i didn't think it would be at first but now that i have it, it's worth it.

4. Doodledoo macrumors regular

Don't bother. Wait until September. New iPods always come in September.

5. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Why is the upgrade worth it? I just saw one feature that too about expanded keyboard. That's all. Anything else?

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Hmm lets see...

Voice notes, spotlight, more pages for app icons, cut/copy/paste, if your friend has an iPod touch with 3.0 as well you can play some games against each other, accessories for 3rd party apps can now work with the dock connector (so, for example, it's feasible for someone to make a camera that can connect to the bottom of the iPod)...oh, and yeah, the bluetooth chip in the second gen touch will be activated, meaning it can be used with wireless bluetooth stereo headsets.

7. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Huh?

Never heard about that. Upto how many pages exactly?

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

11. Previously it was 9.

9. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

So a couple more. Can't complain. That's reason enough for me to buy the update, with the landscape keyboard and notes sync to Snow Leopard. 9 pages isn't enough right now. Would have loved more than 11 but that's not bad at all. Here's hoping there are no stability issues with the current and older touches.