iPhone 3.0 Getting Voice Command?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BoulderBum, Mar 13, 2009.

1. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

It dawned on me the other day. The two best ways, in my mind, to interact with a mobile device are by multi-touch, which the iPhone has, and through voice command, which it doesn't.

Now, I didn't hold my breath for a voice command feature, and I am actually able to get an acceptable approach with the "Say Who?" application, but I'm starting to wonder if voice command for iPhone is the stars.

You figure that the new iPod Shuffle incorporates voice, so why not our iPhones?

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

3. Biggie Robs macrumors member

I actually think that voice command is one of the worst ways to interact with a device, mobile or not.

4. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

after watching my girlfriend attempt to use voice commands on her instinct with terrible results, I dont want it, you need to be in a hermetically sealed environment, free of all background noise to use it properly.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Apple vs. Samsung?

Innovation vs. Imitation.

That's the difference.

6. BoulderBum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hogwash. Especially with a phone.

At the very least, you want to be able to voice dial with your phone over Bluetooth as it's a safety issue if you're using the phone while driving. That's a basic feature that's missing on the iPhone.

The one (and only) thing I miss about my old Windows Mobile phone is their impressive Voice Command software which had a really robust voice dialing feature you didn't have to program, plus a lot more useful functions. You could view contacts, open programs, etc. in a fraction of the time it would take manually navigating through menus!

I'd also like the capability for playing music, so I could just say "Play *playlist name, artist, song title, etc.*" to avoid all the clicks/touches it would take otherwise.

7. teiresias macrumors regular

This is complete and utter BS. Every "modern" phone I had before the iPhone had voice dialing that was fine and completely responsive. I could say "Call Mom Mobile" or "Call Mom Home" and it would dial the right number without fail. Not to mention that the main place this is used is in the car via a bluetooth headset where the background noise thing generally isn't an issue - though I was able to do it even with the radio playing faintly and the windows down.

That my iPhone, Apple's technical marvel, hasn't been able to replicate such functionality is utterly embarrassing.

8. gman24 macrumors newbie

voice command

5 years ago I got my first cell phone with voice command capabilities, it was a Spring Samsung phone. It worked great! I could use my bluetooth headset to make calls. Apparently, I was totally spoiled, as it seems to be beyond the grasp of Apple and AT&T for the iphone. I would really like to use the iphone and would change my service in a moment if I could touch my bluetooth headset, say a name and mobile/work/home/etc. and have my phone confirm and dial that number. My Verizon VX6800 even does it.

Come on Apple.... this is not new technology.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

His Holiness only giveth what thy should have. Thou must haveth Faith, brother, that thou needst this feature not. Now, here, drinketh this Kool-Aid.

10. jeremykyle macrumors regular

All Hail His Holiness, Steve!