iPhone 3.0 killer feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaptSaltyJack, Mar 13, 2009.

1. CaptSaltyJack macrumors 6502

You know what would absolutely rock on OS 3.0, that's totally possible and within reach? Ok, imagine this:

You bring up the Mail app on your iPhone, and tap the "Compose" icon. Then, you don't type... you SPEAK. "To Steve Jobs at work. Bcc Toby Higgins at home. Subject... How hard would this be, question mark. Message body... Dear Mr. Jobs, comma, please add voice dictation so those of us who are crazy busy can actually send emails while driving, period. Please, exclamation point. Newline, newline, hyphen, Mike." Tap the send icon, done.

I think this would be killer.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

'Kay, when speech recognition software actually starts working reliably in dozens of different sound environments, let us know.;)

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

4. tiguk macrumors 6502

Let alone dozens of languages and thousands of accents.

5. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

The technology is already there. Microsoft's voice recognition can handle accents just fine, I know this for a fact. And if you're in a relatively quiet environment such as your car, it should be fine.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So... not out actually using your phone, just in quiet places where you would have access to a computer, anyway.

And cars aren't quiet unless they're not moving. Microsoft's voice recognition can't even handle "Dear Aunt"... with EITHER of the pronunciations on the last word.

7. diemos macrumors 6502

yea that shouldn't be a problem at all, its been there for many years, but i bet you, you wont use it, it sounds cool but it wont be practical. IMO a killer app feature would be more gestures HD screen 480x800 and multi tasking. that would do for me, well maybe better camera. :)

8. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, don't get me wrong, I think we need other features like copy and paste first and foremost. But voice dictation would be awfully cool.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It's not a bad idea, but there are a couple of dozen other things I'd rather they spent their time on.

10. slapppy macrumors 65816

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Didn't google or another company already have this - voice message, then gets uploaded, converted, sent to you as email?

You're just asking for the info to be passed back to the text field in the app.