iPhone 3.0 OS and gCal/iCal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duncanapple, Mar 18, 2009.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

I scrolled through the bazillions of 3.0 threads and didnt see this question, forgive me if its been posted already...

Does the new 3.0 OS finally allow for a true over the air two way sync between the iphone calendar and google calendar? How about shared google calendars?

I know google has their version, but it requires you to sync with your google contacts (which mine are a mess and not even close to as organized as my apple address book ones, so thats not an option) and cut your apple address book and iCal out.

I have spansync which is nice, except it doesnt do over the air. I have to sync at my mac to get all three devices updated.

So does this caldav (is that what its called?) finally let the iphone do a true two way sync with google calendars (including subscribed calendars)?

Another side note - this update is going to be free for original iphone owners too right? The keynote they said the touch would be $9.95, and free for 3G customers, and then said it would work on the original less mms and bluetooth stereo. They never actually said the original iphone was free. I would think it would be since apple gets a cut of the att revenue, but just curious.

Thanks in advance -

Chris

2. jwkuipers macrumors newbie

Well I have it syncing with google at the moment. It works but the times are incorrect for most appointments, except for one reoccurring appointment. I am not sure whats up with that. My timezone is set automatically and its set in google correctly. Weird.

3. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

So even when you enter an event into your iphone, it pushes it back to gcal? Also, do you subscribe to anyones calendar in gcal? Curious if you can push/pull this from the iphone 3.0 as well? Would be awesome if this all gets sorted out and works!

4. efice32 macrumors 6502

They said the upgrade will be free for iPhone owners and showed a slide with both a 3G and an original iPhone on it, so yes it will be free.

[​IMG]

5. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

What is the 15th red/black icon? A new core app?

6. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

7. RJ17 macrumors regular

The current google calendar syncing does not require you to sync contacts. You can select what you want to sync.

8. sprescott1974 macrumors member

does anyone know if, now that 3.0 supports the .ics format, if you can accept iCal invitations in email? It has always frustrated me that I can accept meeting invites from my iPhone.

9. BNZ1 macrumors regular

No it doesn't. It is an exchange account, you can turn calendar/contacts on or off individually in the iphone account settings.

10. fjk macrumors regular

Agreed. My iphone syncs my calendar with my gcal just fine, across multiple calendars. Nothing to do with my contacts. I also have my iCal on my mbp syncing to gcal. Everything is two-way sync.

mbp <---> gcal <---> iPhone.

OTA, dont need to sync my iphone and laptop (actually, not allowed to) over USB.

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/sync.html

like bnz said just turn off contacts.

11. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

So if I set up google/iPhone sync, and tell it not to sync my contacts on my phone (thereby using my address book contacts), do I also have to tell my phone in iTunes not to sync my iCal? Wouldnt that create a loop if both the phone and the ical/mac was syncing with gcal and then the phone was syncing with ical?

Sorry for all the questions - and good info above.

12. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Me too. I have friends on blackberries and I cannot open the .ics attachments from emails that I get from them to add events to my calendar. The only way it works is if I give them my work email address and have them send the invite there. Then it'll work, only because it's coming through exchange.