Iphone 3.0 Question - delete selected text?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scottasu, Mar 18, 2009.

1. scottasu macrumors newbie

For you lucky guys/gals trying out the 3.0 beta, can you mass delete text? I find one of the most annoying features of the iphone is you have to hit delete a lot to get right of a block of text. I was hoping this would be a feature?

Thanks for any input.

2. OriginalMasta macrumors member

why not? You simply select the text by bringing up the cut/copy/paste handle points and drag - but instead of copy, you CUT.

this works for notes, messages, mail. You can't cut in safari HTML text regions but instead copy. So yes, I agree it is annoying to hold delete key - in 3.0, you can use the text selection methodology.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Yes, this is a feature.

4. scottasu thread starter macrumors newbie

5. mkoesel macrumors regular

Wow, I really REALLY hope that this changes for release or has already changed in the later betas/builds.

The primary reason I want select/delete is to remove unwanted text when replying to a quoted forum post on my iPhone. Basically, exactly what I did for this post, but without the annoyance of having to hold down delete to get rid of the extraneous parts.

Also, it is a little disappointing that there is no 'delete' but instead only 'cut' (if my understanding is correct). 'Cut' works fine, but means you cannot keep something in the clipboard when removing more text.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

He said you can't delete text from HTML regions. Which you can't do even on desktop computers, since you can't edit a webpage from within a web browser, you need a text / html editor to do that.

When posting responses to a forum, you are in a TEXT field, and I presume you can use copy, cut and paste like in any other text entry area in any iphone app.

7. mkoesel macrumors regular

Yep, I misinterpreted what he said. I thought he was talking about a text area like the one I am typing into now.

All is good! Can't wait for OS 3.0.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You don't have to CUT at all. Just select and hit the delete button once.