iphone 3.0 sdk availability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfanboy, Mar 17, 2009.

1. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

i remember the 2.0 sdk being available hours after the event took place (for everyone).

with 3.0, apple only allows the sdk to paid developers... anyone know why?

2. Wailord macrumors 6502

My guess is that it just wasn't ready for mass release but they felt that there were to many new features that devs needed to prepare to use. Also, didn't 2.0 come a while after its announcing...?

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

4. macfanboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but i'm saying who it was available for. the 3.0 IS available now, but only to developers in the paid program

2.0 was available to everyone, free or paid.

5. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

No, it was not. Only if you paid.

6. Arnel macrumors member

If I remember right, the SDK and all of the tools (including the iPhone Simulator) were available for free. It was the beta version of the OS you could install on your iPhone/Touch to run your apps on a real phone that was only available to paid developers.

I'd love to dig through the documentation for OS 3.0, but I guess I'll have to wait.

7. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I am sorry, I did misread, yes, it was available, I dond know why its not now.

8. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

I don't think Apple had the market place set up before releasing the 2.0 sdk, yet they wanted to get it into developers' hands. Now that the marketplace is set up they are limiting the individuals who can access the sdk.