Iphone 3.0 software Mail App crash

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kbunch, Jun 18, 2009.

1. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

I have an original iPhone. I updated to 3.0 yesterday. Now my mail app crashes. I go into my mail. Anywhere from 10-30 seconds the screen becomes unresponsive to touch and then goes to the home screen. I have tried rebooting the phone and it still does it. Any one else getting this?

2. Svhen macrumors newbie

Mail app crash

So I'm having a similar problem. I have a 1st gen iphone. I had jailbroken it prior to 3.0. Then I updated to 3.0 because it had most the features I jailbroke for.

Anyway. Since updating to 3.0 I can't use the mail app. It try to open it. It starts to load and shows its trying to get new mail but then crashes. I am never able to do anything. Not even navigate past my accounts page.

Anyone else having this problem? This is my most used app and its kind of a problem. I even restored my phone =/

3. Svhen macrumors newbie

Problem solved

So I figured out the problem or at least for now.

I had my gmail accounts setup under exchange accounts which is initially how you had to set up gmail accounts when I first got the phone. I decided to delete those and set them up with the added gmail tab of a few updates ago. Poof. Problem solved. At least for now.

kind of weird how that solved it when it was never a problem before 3.0

4. jherre1 macrumors newbie

iPhone 3.0 Mail Crashing

This is for everyone who is having problems with Mail crashing and going back to the mail screen or app screen.

I was thinkering around, I have about 7 different mail accounts, I was going to delete one of them (since I don’t use at all) to see if this did anything.

When I went to “Settings” and then “Mail, Contacts, Calendar” I found at the end of my list of email accounts a random or dummy email account. I deleted it and that solved my problem.

My battery is working fine now, since it’s not spending all the time trying to search for this random email.

Hope this helps.

5. Big R macrumors newbie

Recurrent crashing of iPhone Mail

The same issue you guys describe continues to plague me with no answer!

I upgraded from a 16Gb 3G iPhone (because of this) to a 32Gb 3GS, and now the same problem keeps recurring. I've restored the iPhone and reset it, but the same crashing of Mail returning to the home screen when trying to download mail occurs - it makes the Mail application useless.

???a clash with a 3rd party app. They've only come via the App store, but who knows? Any suggestions welcome!

6. Moe UK macrumors regular

My mail app used to crash all the time when downloading a large number of email on any of the 2.x.x versions. I haven't had it at all with 3.0. if you suspect a rouge app, have you tried the mail app right after a restore without adding apps or data?

7. JoAmethyst macrumors newbie

Mail crashing in iPhone

I'm having exactly the same problem with my 3GS - I'm told I have messages, I go to Mail, it opens and then very quickly closes and goes back to the menu screen. The only thing I notice is that there is a thin grey line running down part of the extreme right side of the screen; I wonder if this is an indication of a problem or a problem itself.

I tried the suggestion mentioned in this thread - to look for a rogue email address and delete it - but there wasn't one.

This has happened before and I found a way of beating it but it all happened by accident and I now can't remember what I did. Any more ideas out there?