Iphone 3.0b2 now NO SERVICE no bars

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brunos82, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Brunos82 macrumors member

I updated to iphone 3.0 SDKb2 and I have a developers account

The next day (not sure if coincidence or not) I've had no service here at home where I used to get 5 bars. No Edge no 3G only wifi.

It still works around town but this is very weird.

Called AT&T and they said no outage in this area.

Any help?
    -
    Update:
    It is a coincidence afterall. My mom is here visiting for Easter and also has AT&T and has no service in my house. We've since talked with friends who have AT&T and live in proximity who are experiencing the same issue.

How can AT&T go from delivering 5 bars to no-service in my area?

If this continues it'll be sad but I'll have to switch providers.

2. cg165 macrumors regular

Reset your phone by holding in the top button and home button at the same time. Continue holding these even after it turns off until you see the apple symbol come up on the screen and hopefully everything will work again. Sometimes I can't get any service and that fixes it. Hopefully that's all it is for you.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've noticed that the modem firmware in 3.0b2 seems to have issues catching a signal where there is a strong signal, both on 3G and EDGE.

4. JerFresh macrumors newbie

For the first 2 days after I installed 3.0 beta2 I was getting really crappy/no service. I just restored my phone using the 3.0 beta 2 and now everything works fine.

5. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Not quite the same situation, but still interesting ...

I live about 3 miles outside a 3G coverage area -- I have only ever gotten EDGE at my house (1, 2, or 3 bars of it, or 4 on rare occasions). I've been running 3.0b2 since last week and last night when I rebooted my phone (as I do periodically), I noticed when it came back on that it said it had 2 bars of 3G service for about 20 seconds or so before changing to EDGE.

I don't know if it was an error on the phone's part which it quickly corrected or if 3.0b2 actually DID allow it to pick up 3G for a moment before it decided the EDGE was stronger & reverted to it, but I just thought I'd share.

6. Brunos82 thread starter macrumors member

Didn't work for me

I tried this and it didn't work.

I'll try restoring to see if it gets any better.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

8. Brunos82 thread starter macrumors member

You sure?

I got confirmation about it beeing activated.... and I get service outside this area.

The thing was here at home I used to get 5 bars and now I get none/no service

but when I step outside I'll get one-two

Its still abnormal but not sure if it is activation issue

9. Brunos82 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I tried restoring it and setting it up as a new phone but still nothing.

Normally wouldn't it update the carrier service thing? Its not asking for that anymore like it did when you restored using 2.2

I've called AT&T and they say service in my area should be strong enough for indoor use.

So of course its the update to 3.0 that jacked it all up!

If I cannot fix this I will probably have to downgrade to 2.2.1 using jailbreak.

I cannot have a phone with no service at home.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Have you tried just dealing with EDGE? Do you have wifi in your home? Try that. I used to get great 3G coverage before the 3.0b2 update but now I get nothing so I just deal with EDGE and wifi.

Also, downgrading to 2.2.1 shouldn't help because the modem firmware is what is most likely causing the problem and you won't be able to downgrade that.

11. Brunos82 thread starter macrumors member

Before the upgrade:
    -used Edge service with 3G turned off. 3G would only have 2 bars. Edge had 5 bars.
    -wifi worked at home perfect

After the upgrade:
    -Edge and 3G both do not work at home. Before I had 5 bars with Edge.
    -wifi still works fine

Tried to hold the home button and off button and restarting it
    Tried restoring the phone like 5 times
    Messed with a lot of the network settings
    Called AT&T

Still no bars.

12. Brunos82 thread starter macrumors member

Can you make phone calls using wifi over at&t?

I know you can use skype and etc... I mean actually make a phone call.

My uncle has a blackberry with tmobile and he can use wifi signal to make calls

13. LinMac macrumors 65816

I've noted some pretty interesting signal issues since upgrading to the beta 2 firmware. I need it to keep developing my app, but it is hard using your only phone as a development device and mobile phone sometimes. :D

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Considering that we're nearing that 2 week mark since the last beta release it wouldn't surprise me if we have a new release on Tuesday.

And...you can't use the wifi connection to make an at&t call as of yet.

15. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i love how this phone has been on the market for almost 2 years now and apple still cant nail the signal portion. I have never had a phone that took so long to "search" for a signal before finding one, and every software update bring about new signal issues that mystify everyone.

16. LinMac macrumors 65816

2.2.1 works fine. The 3.0 BETA 2 firmware has issues and that is fine because it is beta.

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This is because with every 3.0 beta release there is a new modem firmware to go along with it. Signal will be sketchy for as long as we're in the beta and we should know that.

2.2.1 was perfect.

18. Brunos82 thread starter macrumors member

2.2.1 was really perfect I wish I could go back and not upgrade.