Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Anyone know whether this breaks XT tethering in NZ? I don't even own an iPhone but I know that quite a few people are using a "hack" for support over here.

Shouldn't break XT tethering because XT isn't an official carrier.

There is no official carrier profile to override.

PS: All NZ iPhones are always unlocked.

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
Man that sucks... and I dont even have an iPhone on a AT&T contract :D

Blackberry ftw.

My work provides a BB, and I provide an iPhone. For me, definitely not "Blackberry FTW". I don't know how many times I'll touch the screen of my BB and get mad at it not working... only to become embarrassed and pretend like it didn't happen. :p

As of now, I won't be upgrading.

at&t

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Ah, so much crying.
Let your phone carrier decide what is better for you - it is their company and it is their choice. If you do not like it then go switch to Revol Wireless or something.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
With Beta 2 disabling the hack, I have to wonder if AT&T will end up delivering the tethering feature much later than expected.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Only one thing stands in the way of the iPhone being fantastic in every way -- and that is ATT. Why ATT needs to hold back on tethering when iPhone users in many other countries can use it is anyone's guess but it is clear that ATT is the weak link in the iPhone chain.

I would guess that they are simply trying to monetize the additional features, either to improve profits or offset costs for building out infrastructure to support network improvements. Honestly, I think this is more symptomatic of American business practice than just AT&T being greedy. Investing for the long term is no longer considered a viable business strategy here. /soapbox

Fluffy Bunny

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Darn it Apple

Not fair, I like to steal stuff! I think everything should be free. Tax the rich to pay for my data needs. I have many important you tube videos to watch and facebook updates to make. This is important stuff!

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Is this really a surprise? I find it hard to believe Apple or AT&T would just look the other way, when they can see there is unofficial tethering going on.

timon

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004
Tustin, CA
Yet ANOTHER reason that I will NEVER go with AT$T’s GREED :(

I just got a VERIZON Blackberry Tour and could not be happier unless I get a VERIZON iPhone...hopefully SOON :rolleyes:

And just how much do you pay for tethering on Verizon?????????? Oh, $30 just like AT&T!

I'm so tired of people saying that AT&T is being greedy when Verizon charges the same price. Come on people before you complain please check the other carriers pricing.

Now complaining about network coverage is totally fair game as is wishing that all carriers would reduce costs. Heck, I'd like to see all carriers include SMS with all data plans but it's not likely to happen.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
we're already rolling 4G/LTE with 80Mb/s in rural and 150Mb/s in urban areas to cover the entire Swedish population (by the end of 2010, with stuff in the metro area by the end of the year). You can already enroll in the program, but I think it's capped at 21Mb/s until the end of the summer (or so).

It's tough only having to worry about only covering an entire country the size of California. I hear this nonsense from Europeans over and over. Rolling out infrastructure like this to a country as large as the US, takes a lot more money and a lot more time.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
It's tough only having to worry about only covering an entire country the size of California. I hear this nonsense from Europeans over and over. Rolling out infrastructure like this to a country as large as the US, takes a lot more money and a lot more time.

Dont riddle this board with things like "facts".

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK

Where did he suggest it was something that the US carriers should be doing?

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden

Agreed! Why even bother trying to compare? The cost for any telecom in either the US or Canada to roll out uniform service throughout their respective nations is always going to be much higher than with a country the size of Sweden.

peteelew

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Netshare?

Is this 3.1 going to disable Netshare, also? I will stick with the old if I hear it does!!

maddviper

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
iPhone Tethering

My iPhone tethering seems to be working fine. In fact, I'm sending this post via a tethered computer via an iPhone 3GS running 3.1.

Jamie 360

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Boston
It already did, since the launch of the iPhone 3G last summer. I have tethered using my 1st Gen flawlessly from AT&T, and plan to do so on my new and soon to be 3GS, with the same cost and $20 Data + SMS plan as my 1st Gen

How do you plan to hang onto your $20 plan? I was able to keep mine (which also had 200 texts included) with my 2G up until I ordered the 3GS. The first step in the order process forces you to accept the new $30 plan. I almost didn't order it due to the huge plan hike, but when I looked at "my current plan" on the AT&T Website there was a note saying my $20 plan was going to expire on 8/1 anyway.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Agreed! Why even bother trying to compare? The cost for any telecom in either the US or Canada to roll out uniform service throughout their respective nations is always going to be much higher than with a country the size of Sweden.

per capita? % of GDP? or in absolute terms?

at some point it's about the country's/region's priorities. Scandinavia has always been strong in telecommunications with Ericsson and Nokia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.