Iphone 3 as a phone only

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by redbaron1, Nov 4, 2011.

1. redbaron1 macrumors newbie

I have been using my wife's old iphone as a phone only. I turned off cellular data for a long time every thing was fine now att want's to add a data charge. they are trying to tell me the phone is still using data. the phone say's no data is being sent or received. are they useing the phone signal to tell if it is a data phone I have other phone's that are data that I don"t have a data plan and they don't try to force me to buy one. somebody was saying about a false APN. I know it's not wifi because i used one for years for the internet with no problem . any information would be welcome

2. nmork macrumors regular

They can probably tell by the IMEI of the phone that it's an iPhone.

It really doesn't matter how they know, though. Per the contract you signed with AT&T, the iPhone must have a data plan. Whether you use it or not is up to you, but it has to be there.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

iPhone data is mandatory.
    They will eventually add one to your account wether you like it, use it or not.

4. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Wow, I feel sorry for you guys in the US, unable to buy phones from apple without buying into a contract and forced to have data plans on your iPhones :confused: