Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redbaron1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
I have been using my wife's old iphone as a phone only. I turned off cellular data for a long time every thing was fine now att want's to add a data charge. they are trying to tell me the phone is still using data. the phone say's no data is being sent or received. are they useing the phone signal to tell if it is a data phone I have other phone's that are data that I don"t have a data plan and they don't try to force me to buy one. somebody was saying about a false APN. I know it's not wifi because i used one for years for the internet with no problem . any information would be welcome

nmork

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Under your bed.
They can probably tell by the IMEI of the phone that it's an iPhone.

It really doesn't matter how they know, though. Per the contract you signed with AT&T, the iPhone must have a data plan. Whether you use it or not is up to you, but it has to be there.

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
Wow, I feel sorry for you guys in the US, unable to buy phones from apple without buying into a contract and forced to have data plans on your iPhones :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.